Lighting

Joe

21 hours ago, Clint526 said:

Lmao, or I could just hang a calendar by the tank and write stuff down. :lol:

21 hours ago, chiefs11 said:

That's what I do, I have a fish calendar that reminds me of water changes, when to change my socks , last time I tested water and when I changed my carbon or gfo. Helps out. 

I would forget to write it down or input it into my device. 

I love my leds!  I can see why people don't like them, they allow too many changes and if it isn't balanced well or acclimated changes, there will be problems. (I think manufacturers need to make people input their tank dimensions, and height over tank, to generate presets for this reason) T5s are kind of foolproof, and a single bulb covers a much broader spectrum. They also give a lot better "fill" of light instead of casting shadows.

Most older leds just threw a bunch of colors in there in order to get that shotgun effect.  Even the china boxes have refined the colors that are shipped in them now, and include UV and even IR spectrums in some.  While I know you said money isn't the concern, I don't think throwing a lot of money because of a brand name is necessary either.  

If it helps your decision making though, as of right this moment I think that led/t5 combo is the best option out right now. Hell even Jason fox is using t5's with reef brite strips

Alot of big names are running this combo. 

So the ballasts don’t matter much? Just the bulbs? On T5. 
Ehhh, yes and no. The high end ballasts technically tend to slightly overdrive bulbs. This gets higher par, but shortens effective bulb life. The cheapo china ballasts underdrive which also shortens life and shifts spectrum slightly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, cptnspanky said:

Ehhh, yes and no. The high end ballasts technically tend to slightly overdrive bulbs. This gets higher par, but shortens effective bulb life. The cheapo china ballasts underdrive which also shortens life and shifts spectrum slightly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This don’t make it any easier. Lol