Reactor lack of knowledge

jeepkrazy

Our tank is now going on one year, wandering if we need a reactor but i really don't know what they do?

We have a very busy sump (protein skimmer, mangroves,  a bunch of different filter media's, filter socks, live sand and rock)

Display tank at around 200 lbs live rock 

My concerns come in from the November contest. I dont have any of the pink algae but corral is awesome and growing?

5 minutes ago, jeepkrazy said:

Our tank is now going on one year, wandering if we need a reactor but i really don't know what they do?

We have a very busy sump (protein skimmer, mangroves,  a bunch of different filter media's, filter socks, live sand and rock)

Display tank at around 200 lbs live rock 

My concerns come in from the November contest. I dont have any of the pink algae but corral is awesome and growing?

And a UV sterilizer 

Personally, if everything is growing and looking good, I wouldn't change anything. 

Here is a video that describes Aquamaxx reactors and briefly describes the function of a reactor. 

Carbon is usually run to filter the water of unwanted elements.

Gfo is usually run to help reduce unwanted phosphates.

Bio pellets will help reduce nitrates and phosphates.

Macro Algae will help to reduce nitrates and phosphates.

There are many brands of reactors, so do research and find one that appeals to your liking and size if you end up adding one. Also in regards to filter media, there are many different brands and products that you can place in a reactor. When introducing a reactor and media, make sure to run a smaller amount at first and then add more as you see fit. I usually start at about 1/3 of the recommendation, and make sure that no coral or fish are being effected by the introduction of the new media. 

More videos:

Just as a side note, I am not promoting any one specific brand or product with these videos, I just think they are helpful and educational.