Hi everyone! I’m very excited about starting this tank. I’ve been interested in pico tanks for a very long time now, and I’ve finally made the plunge. I’m not sure what I’ll be stocking it with, because I’m planning on teaching my girlfriend about saltwater reefing and deciding what goes in the tank together (muahahaha getting her interesting in my hobby early). Here’s my equipment list so far:

Tank: 3 gallon plastic cylinder tank
Sump: 2.5 gallon standard glass tank
Return pump: Mini Jet 159 gph
Lights: Kessil A80

Here’s a picture of the base tank
9ba99abec7cfa8458a960fe9f846a5ff.jpg

Here’s my diagram/brainstorm of how to do this plumbing and what I need from the hardware store
458fc0ce1f447e61acf311bcd8dc18c8.jpg

Here’s what I just painstakingly dremeled and siliconed! (I’m not the best with a caulk gun)
ed1c8bbca7b1fb80de4fc1a3486d97e3.jpg

I’d be happy to hear your comments and suggestions! My only concern as of right now is that my return outlet is wayyyy too small. But I’ll see how it goes in 30ish hours!

Also, in hindsight I should have cut the teeth of the overflow in before I siliconed it all together. Oops

Very cool DIY project! Did you set a budget on it? There are so many people out there that drop a crap ton of cash on "dream" tanks, but I think its cool when someone is able to make a $50 Home Depot run and get a tank up and running. Great idea and cant wait to see this come together. 

Very cool DIY project! Did you set a budget on it? There are so many people out there that drop a crap ton of cash on "dream" tanks, but I think its cool when someone is able to make a $50 Home Depot run and get a tank up and running. Great idea and cant wait to see this come together. 

I haven’t set a budget, but I’m trying to keep this as cheap as I can! I will start logging my cash though. Im cheating a little bit because I already had plexiglass, pumps, my sump tank, and silicon.

So far I’ve spent 10 dollars on 3 90° elbows and various tubing lengths, 30 dollars on the tank at Walmart, then used a BRS gift card for 130$ on the Kessil A80 and 18$ on a 25 watt hydro Theo heater