Test kit

Joe

I don’t think I need to test for calc, all, or mag in this little tank. I’m going to have all very easy lps and doing regular water changes. I could change 50% of the water very easily if a problem were to arise. So do I really need test kits at all? 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I don’t think I need to test for calc, all, or mag in this little tank. I’m going to have all very easy lps and doing regular water changes. I could change 50% of the water very easily if a problem were to arise. So do I really need test kits at all? 

I’m old school so I would say yes always good to know what’s going on in the tank. 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Hmm seems like it would at least be a good idea to test at the start to me. I guarantee there are success stories out there where not a single test has ever been done, but I am not that lucky lol

6 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

Hmm seems like it would at least be a good idea to test at the start to me. I guarantee there are success stories out there where not a single test has ever been done, but I am not that lucky lol

Even with starting with cured live sand and rock? I’m thinking of just starting to ad stuff. What could go wrong? 

Well if I played the devils advocate, how do you know it was cured without adding ammonia then testing?  Once you add corals to that small volume how will you know how fast you are using up calcium and alkalinity?  We know it can be done without testing, but I think it really comes down to what risk you are willing to take.  This seems like one of those no wrong or right answer things. 

21 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

Well if I played the devils advocate, how do you know it was cured without adding ammonia then testing?  Once you add corals to that small volume how will you know how fast you are using up calcium and alkalinity?  We know it can be done without testing, but I think it really comes down to what risk you are willing to take.  This seems like one of those no wrong or right answer things. 

Your marshing my mellow man. Lol. I’m just trying to be cheap. You are absolutely right. 

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

Anyone heard of Elos test kits? 

I love my Elos mag test. I bought it when Premium Aquatics was out of salifert. Never had a problem with salifert, amd both gave me the same result for my last couple tests

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Your marshing my mellow man. Lol. I’m just trying to be cheap. You are absolutely right. 

Lol, happy to help