Get That Sandbed LOOK Without Having an Actual Sandbed

Muttley000

Get That Sandbed LOOK Without Having an Actual Sandbed   epoxy-sand-bed-aquarium-770x500.jpg
4SHARES

We all love having the look of a bright white sand bed, and the way it reflects light to give our reef tanks that tropical look. But over the last decade it has definitely become clear that in many cases, that deep sand bed can have some drawbacks to keeping a healthy reef. 

Between trapping nutrients, scratching glass by getting caught in magnets, and generally blowing around in the flow rates that makes for a healthy reef, sand can be a a liability in a reef tank for a a multitude of reasons. But what can we do if we want that tropical beach look and want ripping flow to keep the tank clean and the corals happy?

Jay Sperandio of Ecotech Marine tried his hand at one solution using epoxy resin to make a ‘sand sandwich’. In this technique a layer of sand is caught in between two layers of epoxy to look like a sand bed, but won’t trap nutrients or blow around in appropriate water flow. 

Making this type of faux sand bed is quite simple and Jay pulled it off rather well on his first try. If you wanted to try your hand at this we suggest trying out a small scale trial run before committing to making a full size version for your reef tank. 

https://reefbuilders.com/2018/02/20/get-that-sandbed-look-without-having-an-actual-sandbed/

6 hours ago, Joe said:

Interesting idea. I have mixed feelings about it. But always enjoy a good diy. 

Me too.  I've never done a bare bottom because I enjoy seeing worms and such in the sand. It seems like this would look better than a piece of starboard or plain glass before it got covered with coralline though.

• 2 weeks later...