Anyone have experience with clams?

ErickS

I've had a couple.  The first I didn't want, my system wasn't ready, and I had bought another system off a guy.  I said I didn't want it but it was getting pitched in the trash if I didn't take it.  It lasted about 2 months.  A year or two ago I tried one, it looked great for several months and then just was gone one day.  I was having intense algae problems at that time.  I think if I tried ine again I would make sure I was providing a deliberate plankton source for it like a liquid food or phyto.  I do intend to try one again.  @Dmartinsnyder83 Was the most successful I have ever seen personally with one.

4 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

I've had a couple.  The first I didn't want, my system wasn't ready, and I had bought another system off a guy.  I said I didn't want it but it was getting pitched in the trash if I didn't take it.  It lasted about 2 months.  A year or two ago I tried one, it looked great for several months and then just was gone one day.  I was having intense algae problems at that time.  I think if I tried ine again I would make sure I was providing a deliberate plankton source for it like a liquid food or phyto.  I do intend to try one again.  @Dmartinsnyder83 Was the most successful I have ever seen personally with one.

Seems like putting one in a 4 month old system like mine would be a risky attempt 

Ive had mine for about 2 years now and hes been through a lot, but he recovered and is doing quite well.  I rarely feed anything special for it.  but I also don't do water changes.  I don't think theyre that hard to keep, if your already doing something to maintain alk and calcium.  the biggest issues ive seen are pests, nibblers and light shock.  I lost my first 2 clams because of some micro snails boring through the shell to feed, couldn't see them at all while the clam was anchored to a rock. and you have to inspect them thoroughly before bagging it up at the store.  Also when you place it in your tank, if you expose it to air, you have to rotate it around to work any airpockets back out or that can kill them too

8 minutes ago, cptnspanky said:

Ive had mine for about 2 years now and hes been through a lot, but he recovered and is doing quite well.  I rarely feed anything special for it.  but I also don't do water changes.  I don't think theyre that hard to keep, if your already doing something to maintain alk and calcium.  the biggest issues ive seen are pests, nibblers and light shock.  I lost my first 2 clams because of some micro snails boring through the shell to feed, couldn't see them at all while the clam was anchored to a rock. and you have to inspect them thoroughly before bagging it up at the store.  Also when you place it in your tank, if you expose it to air, you have to rotate it around to work any airpockets back out or that can kill them too

Not doing water changes either . Not enough in my tank for the need of dosing anything yet. One clan would cause the need for dosing? 

you have a much smaller tank than I do, so it doesn't take much. but I would test over the first couple weeks to see what is consumed and if you have an ato, just mix in some kalkwasser.  If you aren't doing water changes you will have to add it in eventually.  The larger they get the more they consume, and depending on lighting and feedings growth rates will impact it as well

Oh shoot my mistake! I thought I read you had a 40 something but that was a dif post I responded to a few minutes before. But for the record I have a 300

In a 180 it shouldnt be a major draw. But eventually you will have to add back in what's coming out. Do you have corals or plans to add them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...