The Wife's No Name 16g Biocube build

crimsonvice

I tried to get her to register and start her own build thread, but she said no. LOL! So I am taking over for her. 

If you did not attend the expo, this year the grand prize was a 16 gallon biocube and stand. When my wife saw the tank, she looked straight at me and said, "I want that tank! It's so cute." So I bought her some raffle tickets and she proceeded to throw them in throughout the day. She planned it well. She would go and drop some in every hour or so to stack them throughout the cup. Every time she saw a bunch of people put some in she would go back and put some more tickets in. I ended up buying her three more sheets of raffle tickets because she wanted it so bad. Wouldn't you know, her ticket strategy worked and her ticket was drawn. She was so stinking excited, I wish I could have gotten the whole thing on video. She has always enjoyed my tanks, but never understood how I could be so "obsessed" with my tank. Well ladies and gentleman, I believe she now has the saltwater bug!

5F253A85-354E-454D-8970-2C2008CBD2AF.jpeg

86FFFCE6-8975-4EBE-A418-B4AD098E1A00.jpeg

We live in Cincinnati, so the whole drive home she was talking about how she was going to make her tank so cute and all the little creatures that she was going to put in it. She also mentioned quite a few times that this was her tank, and I wasn't going to be touching it. Lol... Whatever you say dear... She was pouring through the Live Aquaria pages looking at livestock and watching BRS/MD videos like mad. She kept asking me what equipment she needs to get. I used some MD reward points and bought her a heater, had an old Jebao powerhead, aka "blower" according to my wife, and some carbon to get things going. She started playing around with some dry rock I had at the house, but she decided to go and look for some at the LFS. I also had her pick up some Fritz 9 to help her cycle her tank. We rinsed and dried some sand that I had, and she got to work. Here are some pictures from along the way.

7961ED8B-9923-4E48-8B2F-496E564976B3.jpeg

06FF5929-210A-4F26-A277-BDF59AF84A6D.jpegFF7BAF6D-0552-46B0-8D88-41C160F48B0E.jpeg

939BE509-8B3A-4F20-B738-E2AB13168521.jpeg

BEE12FE7-4D86-4164-9B34-CADDDCE9C900.jpeg

982351D9-1159-435D-959F-434B37F52CB9.jpeg

27E03093-F858-4FBC-A31B-DD989F00C1C6.jpeg

Added RO and doing some cord management. 

BA96ED6E-AA78-4ED0-8901-97189FCEE514.jpeg

Finished product. The Fritz 9 needs fish poop to work, so we put in a damsel and the tiny hippo tang that we picked up at the expo. The hippo will not stay in here. We are just letting it grow some before putting it in my 120. 

763487DC-A404-46E2-A2C9-680EEAADEAFA.jpeg

She just wants it to be hers. We have very different taste when it comes to our stocking lists. She says a lot of the coral I like, look like they have diseases. She likes a lot of the soft coral... GSP, clove polyps, and pulsing xenia. These are nice pieces and can look very good in a system, but can produce and overtake your rock work. I have been in a spot before where I had to manually remove GSP from my rock just to keep it from taking over. It was a pain in the butt. Now GSP is isolated to its own rock. I am sure I will tinker here and there, but will leave most of it up to her. Honestly, she will probably take better care of it than I do my tank. lol

1 hour ago, Muttley000 said:

@crimsonvice what did you use to affix the rocks?

We just used super glue. I was going to order some epoxy, but she was impatient. I wish @MarineDepot was like Amazon sometimes. Two day shipping FTW! 

She ended up pulling the whole structure out last night and reworked some spots. She just wasn't happy with a few things. Not a drastic change.

On 3/24/2018 at 10:42 AM, crimsonvice said:

We just used super glue. I was going to order some epoxy, but she was impatient. I wish @MarineDepot was like Amazon sometimes. Two day shipping FTW! 

We're doing our best! ;) Orders shipped using UPS Ground service ($4.99 or free w/ orders $299+) from our Georgia warehouse to Cincinnati typically arrive in 2 business days.

1 hour ago, MarineDepot said:

We're doing our best! ;) Orders shipped using UPS Ground service ($4.99 or free w/ orders $299+) from our Georgia warehouse to Cincinnati typically arrive in 2 business days.

No you guys are doing great! I just think amazon has me spoiled sometimes. 

1 minute ago, crimsonvice said:

No you guys are doing great! I just think amazon has me spoiled sometimes. 

Thanks! We shop there, too. Not for aquarium stuff, mind you. But the value they offer is impossible to ignore. They definitely push us as a company to continually evolve to meet the expectations of today's online shopper.

2 minutes ago, MarineDepot said:

Thanks! We shop there, too. Not for aquarium stuff, mind you. But the value they offer is impossible to ignore. They definitely push us as a company to continually evolve to meet the expectations of today's online shopper.

Well Amazon doesn't support our club or give a kick back a commission to the club, so you guys are miles ahead of them in my book!

This is an amazing build thread and I can't wait to watch it come to life. I wish I would have had a camera going when we called that number. The look on your wifes face was that of pure joy, and she ran up and high-fived me. I honestly thought she was going to tackle me for a second.