what is this stuff?

Irene

So the past year or so has been crazy around here. Haven't had time to do much more than feed, top off, and keep an eye on the chemistry in both my marine and fresh tanks. Thankfully, nothing got out of hand, although about a year ago  I did lose my prized big guy from the fresh tank, but he had been under the weather for some time. 

The water in the reef tank is crystal clear- (as long as you look through the top ). I picked up two tuxedo urchins from Changing Tide to help out the one in there. They have an all-you-can-eat buffet of coralline algae on the glass.  I noticed some white "something"- it looks like white chaeto almost- that thickness  and it crumbles when touched. I can't get a pick due to the aforementioned condition of the glass. Never have had it before- is it something I need to worry about?

Oh- if anybody needs fishy-sitting in the Lima area, The Crate Escape will stop in for you.  Reasonable rates for the fur babies , too.

Thanks!