What par do you get?

buk

I've got an apogee SQ-520 and I'm thinking it's not calibrated correctly.

For those that have used the clubs par meter what results have you gotten.

Can you please list the lights you tested, height above the tank, depth of water where you tested, and your results?

I got in the 200's at mid level in my tanks at 100% with my rapid kits.  I fried corals when I first got the light.  I have read about the blue of the lense on our meter shifting numbers, so I mostly use it to compare.  There is an article about a correction factor out there.

When I used the par meter under my 20k 250 watt halide I was disappointed when at water level I was only reaching 250 at 8" off the water. It dropped significantly to about 120-180half way down the tank and at the sand bed I was getting just under 100 at about 80 or so. However, with the Ocean Revive I was running at blues 85 and whites 65 at 8" off the water I was about 400 at the top, 250-300 towards the middle and a solid 100-125 at the sand bed. 

On 4/11/2018 at 9:18 AM, buk said:

I saw the same. That's why I went with the sq-520. I guess I just expected the numbers to be higher

The dude who sells the SB Reef lights wrote that he tested several of the common hobby par meters against a super expensive scientific grade photometer, and the one that was most accurate was the seneye, which is pretty interesting as they are dirt cheap compared to the apogee meters.

• 1 month later...

I remember reading that if using LED's we must do some equation to compute for the blues because he par meters aren't as accurate with leds. I don't know though. 

I was getting 750+at water level with my 400 radium and about 350-500 few inches below. But I recently switched back to 2 250 bulbs. I'm waiting on our local par meter to test. 

Corey