Best skimmer?

ErickS

1 minute ago, Muttley000 said:

There are a lot of good skimmers and I expect you will find a lot of passionate answers. Let’s narrow it down a little:  internal or external?  Is overall height an issue(like if it is in a sump with in a stand)?  How much water are you skimming?

Sump in stand on a 180 gal tank

I agree, there are many good options out there and it depends on what you are looking for. Personally I have a Skimz SK204 and I believe it does a wonderful job. I had a Bubble Magus Curve 5 previously and thought it did well. 

I believe the Skimz Sk204, Reef Octopus 200 series, Vertex Alpha 200, Eshopps X-220, NYOS 220, BM Curve 9 would be decent options. All depends on what price point and specifics you may require. 

40 minutes ago, crimsonvice said:

What makes them so fantastic, other than their price tag? 

I've never used one, but the red dragon is supposed to be the best needle wheel in the business and the acrylic work of the BK is supposedly second to none.  Do I think they actually skim that much better than the next brand?  No, probably not.  Skimmers with similar design and similar sized pumps with similar water flow and air draw will work the same IMO.  Past that, you're talking price point, reliability,  efficiency in the pump, etc.  

Would I buy one?  Maybe if I won the lottery.  A working skimmer is good enough for me.  I still run a gen 1 vertex from the early 2000's.

Most would consider a Rolls-Royce better than a Ford, but as far as getting you from point a to point b, they'll both get the job done.  

Edited by Dr.Fraggenstien

18 hours ago, ErickS said:

Always heard good things about reef octopus. Skimz is in the running also.

I've heard of several people having lots of trouble with the Skimz (check out Ohio Reef boards for some specific examples).  I've ran some reef octopus skimmers in the past and been totally satisfied.  My Vertex is running a RO pump (bubble blaster) and the warranty is great, the quality of the product and performance are excellent.  If I was buying a new skimmer today, I would be looking at ROs.

Ive run a few different skimmers myself, and worked with a large assortment over at aquarium world. My fav so far would be the bubble magus. They are cheaper than reef octopus and work just as well. My 300 has an orphek dc skimmer, and i have to fart around with it non stop. The bubble magus seems to generally be a set it and forget it till it comes time to clean and empty the cup

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Late to the party.... I have a Bubble King double cone 200 on my cube. 30 fish or so and the skimmer is an absolute beast. The D.C. Pump is so easy to setup and it's all quality made. They are very conservative in their rating young so I advise anyone looking into them to take that into consideration. Mine is rated for 240 gallons and I run it on a 240 cube, heavy stocked tank and it works easy on it.

corey