NoWaiAma

Lights during cycle ?

Granted I’m roughly 3 weeks in already. Brown algae on rock some green brown on sand in areas, bottom of glass. Just waiting on levels then adding cuc. 

Keep the lights on schedule as they will be or shut them off for benefit of bacteria ?

reading a lot of varied opinions and would like yours. 

Their main argument is algae growth. It’ll feed them instead of the bio. I was planning cuc before fish so algae was fine with me. But some are very strong in the opinion. Get levels. 90% water change. Add fish. Add cuc when needed. 

So confusing. 

4 hours ago, NoWaiAma said:

Their main argument is algae growth. It’ll feed them instead of the bio. I was planning cuc before fish so algae was fine with me. But some are very strong in the opinion. Get levels. 90% water change. Add fish. Add cuc when needed. 

So confusing. 

I'm no botanist, but I was always under the impression that plants used the nitrates which are present after the cycle ends.  Maybe they are worried about stunting the denitrifying bacteria deep inside the rock??  Something I would enjoy knowing more about if you find a definitive answer.

I don’t think there is a definitive answer. Pretty sure ima turn them back on. 

This is where I am currently. Red Sea tests on the way  have such a hard time reading these

1EE5ACF0-92EB-4D17-9909-C27698CEB3A4.jpeg

Lots of brown stuff. Wait on ammonia and nitrite to 0 and nitrate at ?? Before adding a small cuc ? Thinking 2-3 astrea snails. 2 fighting conch if tank isn’t too small. Maybe 1-2 blue legged hermit ?

8C1F7A2A-90AC-4614-8828-7B26C65E2177.jpeg

07F0BFA6-26A5-48D3-A4F0-4CE8A415155F.jpeg

4B8D104E-1129-47C3-A465-79D039426F12.jpeg

Brown stuff is Diatom and it feeds off silicates from my understanding. Also read that it will stick around for the first 4 months and solved with regular water changes and snails. Ammonia and Nitrite to 0, nitrate isn't as poisonous and feeds the corals. Once my Ammonia and Nitrite dropped the Nitrate went to 0 as well.

Did a 30% water change and disturbed the sand a bunch. We’ll see where we are at tomorrow. Hope to be able to add a few snails this weekend. Thoughts on my planned cuc? Fighting conch ok tank this small? 

4 minutes ago, NoWaiAma said:

Did a 30% water change and disturbed the sand a bunch. We’ll see where we are at tomorrow. Hope to be able to add a few snails this weekend. Thoughts on my planned cuc? Fighting conch ok tank this small? 

Should be good if you only have 1. I get a good overview on my tankmates here: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/2174/?pcatid=2174

Sweet. Yea just one really to stir it up and be a sand pimp. LFS is pushing the “1 crab a gallon + a bunch of snails” thing. Ima start 2 astrea 1 conch - maaaaaaybe 2 crabs. Don’t want them eating snails 

side note. Added a second heater as a contingency and the cheap thing I started with is being a pita. JBJ true temp. Amazing how fast 2 heaters change the temp. Trying to get to and maintain the 78. 

The Hermit Crab's I have love some snail meat, or playing dress-up in different shells. Just add the snails that will address what is currently going on in your tank. If you want to stir the sandbed, check out the nassarius snail. Get a good heater, I pushed the temp up to 90 and it was a matter of days for my cycle to finish (was already several weeks in).

for heaters: I like to have one set at temp you want it at. and the other set 2 -3 degrees below that .  I still change out my "cheep"  heaters every 12-16 months(hydor) because if they get stuck on and you don't catch it early the tank is a gonner.  It main heater gets stuck off then secondary heater will pick up the slack and youll notice as the temp is lower but not so low that things will die.  for my new tank I bought the cobalt heaters (very accurate and supposed to be indestructible)  

10 hours ago, Flounder said:

The Hermit Crab's I have love some snail meat, or playing dress-up in different shells. Just add the snails that will address what is currently going on in your tank. If you want to stir the sandbed, check out the nassarius snail. Get a good heater, I pushed the temp up to 90 and it was a matter of days for my cycle to finish (was already several weeks in).

Still cracking up over the dress up

looks like you are ready to go!!!!!!!

my thoughts on "clean up crew"

crabs : I love them, they are fun to watch, if you have things that are dying then get lots; but hopefully this will not happen get as many as you want to watch the more shells the better.  hermit crabs ---> no significant reef impact

emerald crabs munch algae like champs!!! mine eat all kinds and I'm old and think algae is a good thing as long as it doesn't out compete my corals[I am an outlier on this but I have never snorkeled or dove on a shallow reef that doesn't have algae]

snails : my glass cleaners, most of them can't right themselves when they fall off glass so I get bigger ones (if they fall off and land wrong, I'll notice) nassarius  do get down in the sand and their eye stalks are just cool.

don't get a sea hair unless your tank is overgrown and then only get one that you can pass to someone else when it has cleaned everything up. 

cucumbers are awesome little fingers filtering and then burrowing in your sand "little turds" but if they die what a mess,

at first don't add too much on anything as you don't have the food for them to eat , go slow and enjoy the show. 6 months in you can add as much as you want

my 30 gallon has 2 large emerald crabs bodies quarter size

10 hermits red blue and brown legs each dime size there are shells everywhere

5 snails I can easily see and 50 small ones I only see at night (I didn't add the small ones)

1 serpent starfish

2 cucumbers each about 1.5 in long

hope that helps 

52 minutes ago, NoWaiAma said:

Thank you. I was thinking 2 aesarius snails. 1 fighting conch and 2 banded trochus + ??   28 gallon. No fish yet. Thoughts ?

What are they going to eat? My Nesarius snails come up when I feed the fish, pretty cool. Are you going to feed the snails or do you have enough algae? Have you thought about a starter fish? Food needs to continue entering the system, turning into Ammonia and being processed by the bacteria you have grown or it will all die off. Starting the nitrogen cycle over again.