NoWaiAma

Lights during cycle ?

Clowns are hardy and a good way to start. You can take some water to the store and have them test for you. If you don't have any coral yet. Fish adapt better to a low salinity water than a high salinity. If the fish store only has fish in the tank, it's probably around 1.020, instead of 1.025.

My salinity is a little low. Ran out of salt on water change. I’m around 1.023-1.024. Temp is coming back down to 78. At 80 right now. Ammonia and nitrite are 0. Nitrate a lil up 

3 minutes ago, NoWaiAma said:

What could I add to ensure cuc is fed ? Just over feed ?

Brown algae is Diatom's and the small CuC will be fine with a normal feeding. It's a balancing act and every system is different. Test your water frequently in the beginning to learn how it will react. If you want to be certain everything is cool, ghost feed a couple days before adding more life. You will see if anything spikes and have some food for the Cuc when added.

2 hours ago, NoWaiAma said:

Should I grab a hardy coral also? Duncan/ leather/zoa?

In my research you can add coral at this point and I did as well. Only 4 months into the hobby myself and corals have been doing well. Become a supporting member for $20 and get into the grow out challenge. Also part of the "Don't Break the Chain" process where corals are shared. Great way to build up. Also worth supporting the forum that will quickly answer questions. That alone was worth it for me.

3 hours ago, NoWaiAma said:

I went with a couple snails. Yellow watchman goby.  Pistol shrimp and a bi color Benny to start. Wish me luck. 

Pistol shrimp and goby are one of my favorite combos!  We need to see some pics!  On one of your previous posts it looked like your nitrates were pretty high, what are you reading there. You may want to do a water change or two to get that down in the 20 range for the benefit of your shrimp. 

On the CUC I go really slow and a fraction of the recommendation. You can always add more if they can’t keep up but if you have too many and starve them that’s counter productive.

great to see this thread so active guys!

agree with @Muttley000 on taking it slow with the CuC. Added benefit of trips to the LFS. Build trust and learn which employee's you can trust advice from. Second bonus is finding what you enjoy in person and how to plan for those pets. Downside is having self control on purchasing without doing your research.

no pics yet. Kept it dark today. Did a small water change. Nitrates reading about 10. Doing another one when home from work in the morning.  Couldn’t find anyone but a couple snails. Could tell where the conch was. Oh, did find the watchman goby in a cave on the side and could hear the shrimp smacking something but no visual on him or the blenny. They hide??

Side note. Even though Mr goby was back in his cave. It was cool to see him not showing signs of stress and just hanging out. Nervous still about first additions. But hopeful...

6 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

Pistol shrimp and goby are one of my favorite combos!  We need to see some pics!  On one of your previous posts it looked like your nitrates were pretty high, what are you reading there. You may want to do a water change or two to get that down in the 20 range for the benefit of your shrimp. 

On the CUC I go really slow and a fraction of the recommendation. You can always add more if they can’t keep up but if you have too many and starve them that’s counter productive.

great to see this thread so active guys!

Another “I forgot to mention”. Added some purigen in a media bag to help with nitrates and overall clarity. 

Thanks for for all of the replies and tips all. 

To continue the wall of text. 24hr update. One snail dead. Pistol shrimp very active. Has a cave under my front rock..but facing inwards. Adjusted rock we’ll see. Spotted blenny. Also hiding in a front rock. No sight of watchman goby :( but he’s not in the back cave he ran to on entry. No dead bodies no ammonia spike. Nitrates at 20ppm when I got home. 40% water change. No site of sand bed dwellers. And one giant fat snail going to town. Sorry for quality. 

2229246C-1202-4942-841E-81D9118FDEDC.jpeg

Question! LFS got huge shipment of clowns in yesterday. I didn’t want to start with those because they’d already be so stressed , literally still in boxes. So I started how I did. 

How long would you suggest I wait before selecting my pair ?

The watchman and pistol found each other !!! Making a cave facing out!!!! Shrimp not in pic because he’s making trips shoveling sand!!!!

I need to learn how to photograph in this light..

CFFE2B74-D018-45F4-B662-1271DEBB75B1.jpeg

Edited by NoWaiAma

The longer the wait the better. 2-4 weeks and monitor your levels. I would wait until your Nitrates are under 10 regularly. My goby still hides from my wife after 3 months, but knows I am the food supply and comes out to see me. The shiny blue name means you are a supporter! Thanks and welcome. You can look at some of the lids/walls people have built to protect the jumpers from doing carpet surfing, it's just a matter of time. They do it when spooked. It's awesome to see strange couples and will certainly be entertaining to watch.

On 6/12/2018 at 12:18 PM, jeff70 said:

for heaters: I like to have one set at temp you want it at. and the other set 2 -3 degrees below that .  I still change out my "cheep"  heaters every 12-16 months(hydor) because if they get stuck on and you don't catch it early the tank is a gonner.  It main heater gets stuck off then secondary heater will pick up the slack and youll notice as the temp is lower but not so low that things will die.  for my new tank I bought the cobalt heaters (very accurate and supposed to be indestructible)  

Cobalt arrived today. Nice and flat. Feels sturdy as hell. Thank you !