ReefHD Reef Flux vs Bryopsis

8636C188-99DA-44DC-9F96-9D5B31D17624.jpeg

So somehow I have acquired a small issue with bryopsis. I am assuming it was from a frag I purchased at the swap and never really noticed it until it was getting larger. I tried hydrogen peroxide dipping it a few times, and it seemed to help momentarily, but then would come right back. I did some research and found the product Reef Flux. It is supposed to do wonders for bryopsis issues, so I figured I would give it a try. 

The container comes with 10 capsules and treats 100 gallons (1 per 10 gallons). I ordered two packs for my total volume of ~140 gallons. I emptied each capsule into a cup and then mixed in some tank water until it was mostly dissolved. I then dumped it into the powerhead and sit and wait to see the results. 

D94CEBFA-11F9-448D-AED6-7AFBE215122C.jpeg

You are to turn your skimmer and any mechanical filter media off for three days. I will turn the skimmer back on after three days, and introduce some carbon. After 20 days you need to do a minimum of 30% water change. I will be monitoring nitrates during this because I dont want to go through another Vibrant nitrate spike. 

Here are some pictures of my problem areas. I will monitor and update as time goes along. 

This is the frag it came in on. 

6560C019-41D3-4D28-9D40-DFD33A484096.jpeg

A spot where it has taken hold in my tank. 

E8FA56E8-A0FE-4BE1-9499-A50AD5D45298.jpeg

10 hours ago, Joe said:

Hope it goes well. Never heard of this stuff so curious to see if it works. 

They actually donated a fee bottles to the raffle this year. I have heard fantastic stuff about it, with out the hazard of effecting other things in the tank. 

2 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

What is the active ingredient, I am guessing this is repackaged Flucon?  Keep us updated!

You are correct. 

Hoping for good results. 

just an fyi:

fluconazole is an azole which destabilizes the cell membrane.  specifically sterols(Ergosterol for fungi) but sterols are very prominent in any plant.  It does not kill specifically; but as the cell membrane destabilizes it breaks apart and you get cell death.  that's why it took 2-3 days for it to look like it was it was washed out.  From a medical perspective I would recommend retreatment in a week to kill off the tough stragglers.  turning the protein skimmer on day 3 makes sense to get rid of all the intracellular proteins and crap. 

pricing at Costco with goodRx coupon is 200mg tablets(just crush it) 30 tablets for $34.10. 

sorry if I wasted your time but its real slow at work today.

Jeff

1 hour ago, jeff70 said:

just an fyi:

fluconazole is an azole which destabilizes the cell membrane.  specifically sterols(Ergosterol for fungi) but sterols are very prominent in any plant.  It does not kill specifically; but as the cell membrane destabilizes it breaks apart and you get cell death.  that's why it took 2-3 days for it to look like it was it was washed out.  From a medical perspective I would recommend retreatment in a week to kill off the tough stragglers.  turning the protein skimmer on day 3 makes sense to get rid of all the intracellular proteins and crap. 

pricing at Costco with goodRx coupon is 200mg tablets(just crush it) 30 tablets for $34.10. 

sorry if I wasted your time but its real slow at work today.

Jeff

No waste of time at all. Each bottle was $15, so pricing was pretty similar. 

I have some left over, but will probably pick up another bottle to retreat again just as the doctor ordered! 

• 2 weeks later...

14 days in and there are no signs of bryopsis. The tuffs that had been around are completely gone. Will do a water change at 21 days. 

I have not seen a spike in my nitrates like I would have expected. However, I did not have a bad case, so that is probably why. 

Current picture. 

20180724_181517.jpg