You Wanna See My Nudies?

crimsonvice

We are talking Berghia Nudibranchs. I have had a small aptasia problem that just won't go away. I tried a Copperband and it seemed to work well. Then I decided to go on vacation, and when I came back it was gone. I guess it was only keeping the aptasia at bay, because the aptasia that I thought was eaten returned. 

I tried the club Majano Wand, and while it works great, I have some in areas that I just cannot reach. 

My last resort to killing these suckers is trying Berghia Nudies. I picked them up from Reeftown.com. They are kind of expensive, so I only purchased six. They recommend a bunch if you have a mild infestation. We will see where this goes. 

Everything was packaged great, and I missed the initial delivery at 820. So they brought the packaged back for a second delivery attempt at 1130. The heat pack was still very hot! They seemed fine right off the bat, and instructions and email communications told me they would be fine sitting out until I could get them in the tank later this evening. 

It was a little bit of a struggle getting them out of the jar, but eventually they worked their way around and I placed three on each island. They are group hunters and mate frequently, so hopefully my 6 will turn into a bunch! We will see where this goes. Not supposed to be an overnight feast on aptasia until the numbers get up. 

Finally down to the pics. 

IMG_20181206_140731.thumb.jpg.0a7f48aaca4e26f1efce542afee6b6c0.jpg

IMG_20181206_140802.thumb.jpg.7fa93a4fabf028c4bd5368a67c837bd6.jpg

IMG_20181206_140834.thumb.jpg.d5e47ad91867aab93cad0d3b1e5a60dd.jpg

IMG_20181206_141008.thumb.jpg.7944d7dbbec4db2512036aa463da05a4.jpg

IMG_20181206_141027.thumb.jpg.dc5750af7525925e33f526f69ea6ed1e.jpg

IMG_20181206_224913.thumb.jpg.e1c5cdfba47f8be6ef917eef615efc80.jpg

IMG_20181206_225735.thumb.jpg.62a010af7cc5190baff88b4178bc0806.jpg

also i have read (not from personal experience) the reason bergs are more efficient at defeating aptasia is because they will consume the whole aptasia. Peppermints and copper bands really only consume the disk part and tentacles and not the "stalk". There are a few sped up videos showing how they consume aptasia...interesting!

1 hour ago, euphylin me said:

also i have read (not from personal experience) the reason bergs are more efficient at defeating aptasia is because they will consume the whole aptasia. Peppermints and copper bands really only consume the disk part and tentacles and not the "stalk". There are a few sped up videos showing how they consume aptasia...interesting!

Interesting. Good to know. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not really honestly. There are two aptasia missing where I had originally released the Nudi's. From what I have read, unless you buy a massive population of them, you wont see results immediately. It will be more of a gradual over the next few weeks. They are nocturnal, and since release I have yet to see another any, though I have been looking. Hopefully as the population increases, I may see more and a reduction in aptasia. I count maybe 10 aptasia heads around my tank. So I am not over run with them, but I dont want them to get worse either.  

1 minute ago, crimsonvice said:

Not really honestly. There are two aptasia missing where I had originally released the Nudi's. From what I have read, unless you buy a massive population of them, you wont see results immediately. It will be more of a gradual over the next few weeks. They are nocturnal, and since release I have yet to see another any, though I have been looking. Hopefully as the population increases, I may see more and a reduction in aptasia. I count maybe 10 aptasia heads around my tank. So I am not over run with them, but I dont want them to get worse either.  

once they populate, you should start a nudibranch rental thread!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I believe these guys are doing their job! I do not see any aptasia in my system. I have been periodically looking at night to see if I see them out and about. It has been a miss until last night. I saw one perusing the sand looking for a meal. So I know they are still around and kicking. 

• 8 months later...

Yes, I got them from Reeftown.com. Super easy to order and they have great customer service. 

After the aptasia is all gone, they will no longer have a food source and die off. So the last round cleared everything out, but then I introduced a frag that ended up having an aptasia on it. Upon initial inspection I didn't see it, but noticed it a week or two later. By then it was to late. I have waited because they aren't the cheapest option, but it wasn't a huge issue until lately. 

I had never seen eggs before this shipment. One of the nudies ended up laying eggs in the container. Looks just like snail eggs. Hopefully they will hatch and I will have a huge population here soon!