3D printed parts in a frag tank

Neogenesis

Hey all, I know I've not been too active on here lately, but I'm looking at building a new sump, and instead of having glass cut, which can get expensive after you get it thick enough it withstand bumps and bruises, and edges ground to prevent cuts,   I was thinking of 3d printing baffles instead.  Anyone had 3d printed parts last long term in their tank?

I also recently designed a replacement nipple for a Jebao DC return pump which you can't seem to buy.  I'll be putting that into service at the same time.

I'm planning on using PETG filament, which is the same plastic as water bottles, and was curious if anyone else has really played around with it.

Hey Jesse, been around and still have a tank, but as the kids get older I have less time.....lol.   Funny how that happens. Below is a pic of my first design for the first chamber baffle for a 40g breeder sump.  Do to print bed size restrictions it will be printed in two parts, the first of which is printing now.  The first one failed, hoping this one works a little better, I'm trying a new method. Warping and the print pulling off the print bed has always been a issue with large prints for me.  As long as UPS is on time I have a new printer that will be delivered tomorrow that should allow for a little larger prints, dual color, and hopefully faster prints.  Time will tell though.

935971187_SumpBaffles.thumb.JPG.75a9d9b637f46d2e3c843992a1f338cd.JPG

I've been at it for around 2 years, which was a lot of trial and error.  I've learns TONS in that time.  I'm now moving into more of the design side and finding I really like 3D modeling.  If I can find the time I want to learn more with Fusions as it is far more flexible that what I have been using to design in.  I would sell you my old one, but it already spoken for.  Someone got a deal for $75....lol

If you have any questions, hit me up......I'm happy to share my experiences

1 hour ago, euphylin me said:

i would not use the same plastic as water bottles assuming you are talking about the ones that come in the 24 or 36 packs etc. These will break down over time and are not supposed to be kept near the temperatures our tanks are at.

I did want to take the time to reply to this...as it is very important in the application which I'm using it.  While it is similar to water bottle material, it is not entirely the same.   It is FDA approved/Food Safe, Recyclable but not biodegradable, and temperature doesn't concern me.  It's printed at 240C or 464F, I'm not worried about what 80F tank water is doing to do to it.  Being submerged in water may make the structure more brittle than if it was sitting out in the open air, but that can be mitigated with a more dense print if needed.  While there may be better filaments out there to use, the properties mentioned above and affordability of the filament fits the bill for me.  Who knows, maybe this all blows up and my time and effort is wasted, but if it works well, we're all ahead.  I've had frag racks in a tank that has no skimmer or filtration of any kind and it's been 100% ok, so we'll see what happens.

On 1/30/2019 at 8:55 PM, Muttley000 said:

There is a company that prints random flow nozzles, but I don't know what material they use.

From the reading I have done, ABS is the best bet but can be tricky to print since it is high temp and needs a good heated bed.  Also dont let it sit out in humidity or it will bubble from water absorbed by the filament.  

I've played with ABS, and no thanks.  It vapors it puts off, high heat, you need to have you printer enclosed, I'll pass on that.  It's a PITA to print.

But we have progress, the nipple for the pump came out well, put it on the pump to test, and it's dead, so I won't be using it afterall.  The print came out amazing though.

IMG_20190131_205612.thumb.jpg.c76df0bc7d53fa375ec2da082f9b6708.jpg

And the first part of the sump baffles came out pretty good.  I always have lifting problems when I print something this bid.  The bottom lifted about a 3/16" in total so it's a bit off, but that's nothing a little silicone can't fix when I install it.  You can see it in the back right corner in the pic.  Progress is going good, and the new printer should be here today!!!!  Can't wait to get it up and running!!!

IMG_20190201_075942.thumb.jpg.87c35288b5b2de3aa763bd4f9e3e15d2.jpg

What are you printing in?  I have been working in PLA but it is bio degradable and the tank will eat it.  I haven't had time to test it over a long term.  It looks like your printer is a Anet A8 type printer.  I played with that as a kit I got for christmas but then bought a Tronxy X5SA core-xy printer.  Still blew the power supply and replaced it with a meanwell. Plan is to build an enclosure to hold the heat and make ABS easier to print.  I cant get the temperature where I want it right now so I have avoided ABS.  I do have some PETG which I havent been able to figure out how good it is in salt water.

I'm printing anything saltwater related in PETG.  You are correct, I was printing on a ANET A8, good printer for what it is, but I just upgraded to a Geeetech A20m, which was just delivered yesterday.  If you want to start playing with ABS, I've got unopened rolls I'll sell you cheap, as I don't ever plan to use them at this pint.  The only negative I've read about PETG in any type of water is that it's more brittle than if in open air, but since it's not biodegradable, it should be ok.  My frag racks have been the tank for about a month and I've not seen any negative effects so far.  Fingers crossed!!!!

I have a role of PETG but not started on that.  The Tronxy X5SA has many good points but the powersupply was horrible.  I am looking to replace the controller with a Duet2 Wifi.  I upgraded the Mosfet.  I also am going to contain it to control temps.  One thing I like is the corexy seems to be able to move faster.  I look forward to seeing more printing projects.  I am still learning.

20 hours ago, Neogenesis said:

Pic of the new printer......it's still fighting me a bit, still trying to get it dialed in

IMG_20190201_160420.thumb.jpg.dab0b2a7a4a3da2fb6216d741e9bcebc.jpg

Neat printer.  I got the Tronxy X5SA.  And today I ordered a Duet2 Wifi controller with a Duex 5 addin card.  The structure of the printer I really like but I hated the controller.  So I will let you know how it turns out.  Have you done any calibration prints or benchys?