3D printed parts in a frag tank

Neogenesis

If I could get anything to stick to that textured glass bed that would help, but no dice so far. PLA kinda sticks but PETG I'm lucky to even get a print started.  I finally broke down today and ordered BuildTak......problem solved as soon as it arrives.  It's also under extruding, but I'll work on that once I can get prints to stick.

23 hours ago, Neogenesis said:

also, if you looking for something to help drive your printer, have you looked at octoprint?  It's the only thing I use anymore and it uses cheap hardware, just a raspberry pi.

On the cheap controllers, the firmware is often not good to talk to octoprint.  I tried it and it did a bunch of weird hangs.  I have the Octoprint ready when the Duet 2 is installed :D.  The Duet 2 can also run up to 6 extruders, so I am thinking I am going to upgrade.  My pieces get here this tomorrow.  I will try and get it running this weekend and post some pictures :D.

For my printer I have been printing mostly PLA so I just use a little hairspray and it sticks to the build service like a champ.

I did just load a new slicing program.......and testing again.  Curious to see if this is the fix all to the problems.  A lot of people swear it's more about the slicing software than the printer itself.  New test print is going down as I type this.....just for you Jesse....lol

51 minutes ago, Neogenesis said:

I did just load a new slicing program.......and testing again.  Curious to see if this is the fix all to the problems.  A lot of people swear it's more about the slicing software than the printer itself.  New test print is going down as I type this.....just for you Jesse....lol

About time lol

Hey Neogenesis I have had 2 PETG return nozzles that I printed in my tank. They have been there for about a year now and haven’t had any problems. I design it and had my friend print it. He said that is was much harder to print with than PLA or ABS. I Like what you have printed so far keep it coming! Let me know if you ever have and idea and need help with modeling. 

11 hours ago, petr_patter said:

Hey Neogenesis I have had 2 PETG return nozzles that I printed in my tank. They have been there for about a year now and haven’t had any problems. I design it and had my friend print it. He said that is was much harder to print with than PLA or ABS. I Like what you have printed so far keep it coming! Let me know if you ever have and idea and need help with modeling. 

I love the interest in this thread. Keep the ideas going. 

PETG is much easier to print that ABS, but agreed harder than PLA, although not by much.  My issues are just with getting this printer dialed in.  It's under extruding horribly.  Appreciate the offer for help with modeling, I am learning as I go.  After I get this sump done, my next project is a X-Class Racing Quad, my summer hobby.

I'll post a few pics of what I'm fighting.  If you look at the top layers, they are incomplete and have gaps in them.....as do some of the sidewalls.  3D printing is a hobby of it's own....and frustrating as heck at times.

IMG_20190212_185345.thumb.jpg.52c97db29f8f10802be927abd3a5f9dd.jpgIMG_20190212_185435.thumb.jpg.36a92e05ebea877e8f3aba103bc1be3a.jpgIMG_20190212_193554.thumb.jpg.4a9090c32f63235c1ec84d2023c80a9e.jpg

Update....working too much, wife recovering from surgery, now trying to kick pneumonia, so it's been slow going.  I have gotten PLA prints pretty well dialed in, however my PETG attempts over the last day or two failed miserably.  So still working on the new printer setup.......

I am waiting for a delivery from Amazon today to finish wiring in the new Duet 2 Wifi control board from my printer.  The old printer's board was having problems holding the extruder at the right temperature.  The longer it ran a print the lower the temperature on the extruder was running.  Then I want to run the prints above.  Is that benchy really that warped or is that a different version designed that way?

1 hour ago, Neogenesis said:

LOL....that's a warped benchy....made that way.   I was trying to show the under extrusion I'm fighting.  I've also been testing the difference between Simplify3D and Cura to see if it's worth the $150 investment.

I would be very interested to get your take on Simplify3D versus Cura and Repetier.  I am having Layer bonding issues that I am fixing by either the putting in the Duet 2 Wifi and if that doesnt work I have some new all metal Extruders that I like better than stock..  I would love to hear your take on the slicers.  

No real updates here guys, still struggling with the new printer, things were better but out of the blue I'm having trouble with everything again.  I suspect the filament to be part of the problem as I'm having a very hard time keeping things stuck to the bed to even get a print started.  The other issue I'm having is stringing when printing hollow objects, or between multiple objects printing at once.  Overhangs are also very bad right now.  I unfortunately cleaned up my last print before I thought about taking pictures to document, but you can see some of what I'm dealing with inside the print.  I think is is partially due to the anemic cooling fan on the printer as I had the same issues with the old printer till I upgraded it.  So.....those part in the following pictures is the first of 5 parts to get the cooling working better.  The last pic is what the finished project should look like.IMG_20190221_192036.thumb.jpg.e7973bb115bd99e27ede26f0d3ae5367.jpgIMG_20190221_192117.thumb.jpg.4cc617788f9e74c0166089a81aa4865d.jpgMVIMG_20190221_192046.thumb.jpg.25bcde12e4375527bebae4efb17bcc45.jpgIMG_20190221_192100.thumb.jpg.4bef7fe842a60163eff20bfcb66980d6.jpgcoolersnip.JPG.65199e9bff4c92f9218e52b922bffb67.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

well....I've finally got a handle in printing with PLA and have it nearly perfected. Zero stringing, nice and clean the way it should be.  That is unfortunately not the material I need to print for my sump.......so moving on to that.  I'm working on getting my settings for PETG dialed in, but I did design a quick mount for a float valve, which I use to keep all my tanks topped off.  They are simple, don't fail, and easy to install and maintain.  The plan is to Silicone this to the side of the sump, and voila flat valve installed.  As you can see my settings still need some work, I'll get there though.

Mount

IMG_20190304_181034.thumb.jpg.236159c67631f940ed44bdedce6006e4.jpg

Mount with old valve installed

IMG_20190304_181407.thumb.jpg.f6af11b35ca1a12a9dd783356877974f.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Seriously......   if anyone could print covers for powerheads  (Hydor Koralia in my case)   I'd happily throw cash at them.....  I just can't believe a better system than cutting up nylon pantyhose to protect anemones doesn't exist..... 

I'd buy something made  for it,  but I can't seem to find anyone who make a plastic "cage" that can go over the unit.....  kinda like a box that would suction cup  (or better yet) or magnetically holds to provide a 'shark cage' effect over the powerhead........