What salt?

Jesse

at home i use regular instant ocean. the reason why is that i like the consistency. Red sea coral pro can throw alk and ph out of whack. IO is very good at making consistent batches so i just dose accordingly (not that i need to dose in this tank yet). I dont even use reef crystals

Edited by euphylin me

I am currently using IO.  Price point, availability, and so far no problems.  I previously used Salinity, and I think if I start noting a need for CA and Alk supplementation, I will try Salinity first.  I like Salinity for the small batch and testing on each they that they do.

I was going to go with red sea until I saw someone above say it could be inconsistent. I've used both before but basically have only had FOWLR tanks so I never really monitored anything other than ammonia and nitrates. I had some very hardy fish too so I could have gotten away with basically anything.

54 minutes ago, Keithw283 said:

I've never even heard of fritz so I'm stuck with IO or RSCP. I could order it online but I'd like to be able to buy it in person in case I ever need it right then.

This is hopefully in the works to have in more stores in northern Ohio. 

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

This is hopefully in the works to have in more stores in northern Ohio. 

I'm in the Cleveland area. The only ones I've ever seen in stores are reef crystals, Red Sea Coral Pro and Kent marine. Although I have only seen the kent in a 10 gallon bag. Nothing in larger quantities.

1 hour ago, Keithw283 said:

I was going to go with red sea until I saw someone above say it could be inconsistent. I've used both before but basically have only had FOWLR tanks so I never really monitored anything other than ammonia and nitrates. I had some very hardy fish too so I could have gotten away with basically anything.

I have heard and experienced inconsistencies with RC, and I have never used RSCP before. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it so much in the very beginning. It is not a huge deal to switch salts if you ever decide to in the future. Inconsistencies in salt make up would really only effect you when you have more sensitive coral in your system, like some LPS and all SPS. When you start having a large amount of either, that is when you have to be more concerned about the big three (Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium). If you have a consistent salt mix, it is going to keep everything happy, but the trouble comes in when you do not and you start having swings in alkalinity. ie: tank before water change DKH 7.0, tank after water change DKH 10.0. Drastic example, but you get the idea. 

6 minutes ago, Dr.Fraggenstien said:

There's an entire FB group of people who supposedly crashed their tank using Fritz.  I'm sure you can find similar for any salt online as well.  I test every batch for alk and mag before I use, regardless of brand.

Valid points. Shame on me but I’ve never tested mine before using but it makes perfect sense.