What salt?

Jesse

I go to bluefish and sometimes Triton marine aquaculture. I love the people at bluefish and the ones at Triton seem good too. I just haven't been there many times. Both stores are super clean and everything seems healthy. I've heard good things about RMS but it's about an hour drive as opposed to 30 minutes for the other stores. 

I was always told RMS was great for Freshwater, and supplies,  but stay away from their salty fish.

I don't know anything about quarantine process etc  (I don't know much about any of this!) but I told my local shop I was going to be in the market for a couple of fish, and they said they could order stuff they didn't have on-hand for me,  and they would set them aside, make sure they stay healthy, and make sure they eat (if they were wild-caught fish I guess) and after 2-weeks, I could take them home.    

Basically they will order whatever I want, and put it aside and take all the risk for me,  then I can buy it and take it home..... pretty sweet.     Small shops are the best from my experience...... but then again,  seeing the seahorses etc. at the place in Columbia Station is pretty awesome.

17 minutes ago, Jon Fishman said:

200 Gallons worth of Instant Ocean is $52 right now,   free shipping, etc. on Amazon..... so as much as I like to support my local shops,  I am good on Salt for a bit now....

does regular instant ocean have nitrates and phosphate in it? If you look on the reef crystals it says nitrate and phosphate free but it doesn't say that on plain IO

4 hours ago, Jon Fishman said:

I was always told RMS was great for Freshwater, and supplies,  but stay away from their salty fish.

I don't know anything about quarantine process etc  (I don't know much about any of this!) but I told my local shop I was going to be in the market for a couple of fish, and they said they could order stuff they didn't have on-hand for me,  and they would set them aside, make sure they stay healthy, and make sure they eat (if they were wild-caught fish I guess) and after 2-weeks, I could take them home.    

Basically they will order whatever I want, and put it aside and take all the risk for me,  then I can buy it and take it home..... pretty sweet.     Small shops are the best from my experience...... but then again,  seeing the seahorses etc. at the place in Columbia Station is pretty awesome.

That sounds like a good store!  Next time you are there you should take a few pics and start a thread!

2 hours ago, Keithw283 said:

does regular instant ocean have nitrates and phosphate in it? If you look on the reef crystals it says nitrate and phosphate free but it doesn't say that on plain IO

Excellent observation, I had never noticed that.  We need someone who has regular IO to run a couple tests!

I have been using it for the full life of this tank(9 months).

I think it works well enough and keeps my alk at ~8.2 , calcium at ~420, and mag at ~1350. 

Once the sps start growing some, I will start calculating dosing requirements..

Edited by rjchiles

• 2 months later...

I have been using the live aquaria reef salt..i like it,it mixes up to about 8.5 alk where i like to keep things 

Mixes clear and most of the time you can get a 205 gallon bag for 49.00

Rumor is its fritz salt in different packaging. I have ran fritz in the past it mixes the same and has same numbers

2 hours ago, Zaireguy said:

I have been using the live aquaria reef salt..i like it,it mixes up to about 8.5 alk where i like to keep things 

Mixes clear and most of the time you can get a 205 gallon bag for 49.00

Rumor is its fritz salt in different packaging. I have ran fritz in the past it mixes the same and has same numbers

I believe @buk is using the same.