Sign in to follow this  
APrince62

whats a safe starting point ???

with the Expo coming up in just about a month....didn't realize was so soon....LOL.....I have my 75 G up and running with fish , CUC, and lights mounted...SOOOOOO what limit should I place on myself on getting coral at expo :)….. I will only be looking at lower priced zoas(at least that's my plan)….how many would be tooooo many to start??? What water parameters do I need to check in the weeks prior to expo to make sure im good to bring back coral?  Yep im hoooked

zoas are fairly easy to keep so you can grab quite a few if you would like. 

params: 0 ammonia and nitrite

5-10ppm nitrates (i shoot for 5)

7-9 dkh            (shoot for 8)

7.8-8.2 ph        (8-8.2)

380-450 calcium (i shoot for 420ish

phosphates.....as low as you can get them. i aim for below 0.05ppm

if you are close to these params then i would say you are good to go! personally, i would pick up some cheap zoas from a store or local hobbyist. it would stink to go to the swap and drop some money and everything die

1 hour ago, APrince62 said:

with the Expo coming up in just about a month....didn't realize was so soon....LOL.....I have my 75 G up and running with fish , CUC, and lights mounted...SOOOOOO what limit should I place on myself on getting coral at expo :)….. I will only be looking at lower priced zoas(at least that's my plan)….how many would be tooooo many to start??? What water parameters do I need to check in the weeks prior to expo to make sure im good to bring back coral?  Yep im hoooked

Zoas are good. Any soft coral xenias, toadstool, GSP... Just keep in mind that some can spread very quickly, so you might want to isolate them to their own rock. 

Mushrooms are pretty easy to keep. 

Might be able to try a duncan, torch, or hammer coral. 

Give yourself a budget, and try not to go crazy. I remember going to my first swap and I went hog wild. I ended up bring home something like 20 frags. Some I still have, others not. The goal isn't to kill stuff, but it does happen. 

23 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

Would be nice if you could try out a cheaper zoa frag a week or two before the expo to make sure you are good.

Ok I will try in next couple weeks to find something

My first and only swap: I took $200 and walked away with money left. Maybe I am frugal, cheap, or didn't see a bunch that amazed me (without going over spending limit). I think the swap is a great way to get a mixture of things to see what does well for you. I had one guy offer me a coral for $5 and I bought it. It's a tiny frag that he didn't mean to cut so small, but it is healthy and growing for me.

This is what is wonderful about swaps. You meet great vendors that are willing to help you out, and let you know prior to buying a coral what kind of light and flow it will tolerate the best. They want to see you succeed, and not just sell you coral. You will find a lot of great deals in person, and you wont have to pay for shipping from an online vendor. 

Shop around for sure! You will see a lot of the same coral at the vendor booths. Some vendors may have it for $20+, while others may have the same thing for $5-10. It dose not hurt to look and ask questions. Take your time, and most of all have fun!