Clams... Lets see them...

Jesse

surprising enough my maxima is still kicking strong.  even after the alk  spikes and toxins from flatworm genocide.  it looked rough for a bit but hes back and going strong.  had this one for about 2 years now.  was maybe 1 1/2"  and hes now about 4"    The biggest issues ive seen people have are tag-along vampire snails that come in on your cleanup crews.  (I cant remember the species off hand)  but they hide in the ridges and down at the base where youcant see them, and since the clams anchor to something, you likely will never know until its too late

20 minutes ago, cptnspanky said:

surprising enough my maxima is still kicking strong.  even after the alk  spikes and toxins from flatworm genocide.  it looked rough for a bit but hes back and going strong.  had this one for about 2 years now.  was maybe 1 1/2"  and hes now about 4"    The biggest issues ive seen people have are tag-along vampire snails that come in on your cleanup crews.  (I cant remember the species off hand)  but they hide in the ridges and down at the base where youcant see them, and since the clams anchor to something, you likely will never know until its too late

Nice work!  The parasites (pyramid snails I think) definitely are an issue for the larger wild caught maximas.  The smaller aquaculture not so much it seems, but they are very fickle.  I had one going strong for a little over 6 months in my frag tank, and then I moved it 6 inches and it was dead the next day. 

Edited by Dr.Fraggenstien

This guy is the 3rd clam ive owned actually...The first 1 was death by vampire snails ( and yes pyramid snails was what I was brain farting on, thankyou for that! @Dr.Fraggenstien ) I had him in my 180 for about a year and a half before they were accidently introduced to my tank via other snails.  At the time I thought they were just baby astrea snails.  That was when I purchased my first 6-line wrasse. 

20190221_181930.thumb.jpg.c0800a041edd5cfb1357118a72a0d744.jpg

The 2nd was a death bc of the blowout of my 300.  and the third is still kicking.  Im cheap so ive always bought them smaller than what they recommend and never an issue.  

On another thought maybe so many people have a problem keeping them bc they are running ultra low nutrient systems and then the lighting is just enough to keep them afloat until a stressor comes along.

I would really like to get a squamosa one of these days something like this:

ORA-Turquoise-Squamosa-Clam.thumb.jpg.51a49a4c7d7046c30ea8d632dc5aa112.jpg

Have three, a squamosa, a derasa and a maxima.  All were about the same size when I got them back in March, almost a year ago.

7BA5CDEC-FF36-4C4D-B907-B83B3673A3DD.thumb.jpeg.9dcc4688d5b8a6f2a4d32c25e1fd4a4e.jpeg

The maxima hasn’t grown too much, but the other two have, especially the squamosa.  These are some recent pics of them and I really want more.  Lol. Always on the lookout for a nice blue squamosa at a good price. Pics were taken with an iPhone so don’t always come out as clearly as I’d like.

0A1C4771-F393-4C96-8FF7-7D661462EE04.thumb.jpeg.2dbf5daeca00740d0c837e67b4ab7f09.jpeg

FEBBE55E-943D-448C-87E7-D5F7D22BDBB8.thumb.jpeg.31be65582d3de55889c4197cfce3310e.jpeg5E9C1D36-C6AD-4068-B910-816CFD50C85D.thumb.jpeg.5b2777bfc1d1a23e69747aeec10ed413.jpeg