surjer

Jerry's EVO XII Build

So I broke out the test kit again and mixed up a fresh batch of salt water to test the kit with. The kit produced the expected results of 0's across the board so decided to go ahead and test the tank again just to see. (Looks like we are progressing again finally). I am guessing I stalled the cycle when I did that first batch of water changes so it just took it a bit longer to get going. 

Anallytics4.JPG

That makes a lot of sense. Not even close to the same time of day. Sometimes mornings, afternoons, evenings, etc.. Suppose I should stick to a schedule a little better. With that being said, are those types of swings common?

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance!!! Now, another completely n00bish question. When I had my big tank, i would feed my fish a few pellets daily and once or twice a week i would feed frozen mysis. However, I didn't have enough livestock to justify the whole block of frozen. I tried cutting them up and thawing only what i needed but always ended up in a stinky mess. I eventually gave up trying to portion it out and just fed the whole dang block even tho it was too much. Any tips for having such a small livestock plan, how I can successfully not waste a ton of food?

7 minutes ago, surjer said:

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance!!! Now, another completely n00bish question. When I had my big tank, i would feed my fish a few pellets daily and once or twice a week i would feed frozen mysis. However, I didn't have enough livestock to justify the whole block of frozen. I tried cutting them up and thawing only what i needed but always ended up in a stinky mess. I eventually gave up trying to portion it out and just fed the whole dang block even tho it was too much. Any tips for having such a small livestock plan, how I can successfully not waste a ton of food?

I used to cut a small piece off the block with a knife and put the rest in a Baggie in the freezer

Thanks man. I truly appreciate ya’lls patience with my silly no brainer questions. I am hoping that the cycle holds stable and I can make it up to Lancaster to grab my belived clowns. I figured I would grab food from him as to keep them as close to their “favorite” foods. In the mean time I have probably watched 100 hours of Reef Builders, Bulk Reef Supply, Tidal Gardens, and tons of other youtube videos. That subscription to WWC seems pretty interesting. Will def be pitting some thought into that. They are quick to respond to direct messages and are really nice folks. Jason Fox’s stuff looks way cool and really really clean. Fun stuff! 

Well there is no silly question, all of us started somewhere, and I think every one of us would say we still have much to learn!  I think one of the interesting things about the hobby is how much we still don't understand.  It is good you are watching and reading all you can.  

As to WWC, they are really good at marketing themselves.  Talk to some people who have bought sps from several online vendors and I think most of them would have someone else they ranked higher in terms of both what they got and size of the frags.  I don't remeber of hearing about unhealthy stuff from them however.  If I lived where you did I think it would make a lot more sense to get to Matt's coral's in Columbus or if you really want to try online every person I know who has ordered from Battlecorals has been very impressed with what they got.

Bitter cold here last night and into today. It’s about 10 degrees out right now. Not aure how cold it got last night but temp in the house has dropped down to about 63. That being said, the tank temperature has dropped to 74 from 79. I turned the heater up 1 notch but that is a little concerning. It’s a pretty oversized heater I thought.

52 minutes ago, surjer said:

Bitter cold here last night and into today. It’s about 10 degrees out right now. Not aure how cold it got last night but temp in the house has dropped down to about 63. That being said, the tank temperature has dropped to 74 from 79. I turned the heater up 1 notch but that is a little concerning. It’s a pretty oversized heater I thought.

It's not a bad idea to run two over sized heaters for redundancy.  If one goes bad you still have heat.

Turning it up a notch has brought it back up to temp so i feel better about it just kinda sucks that it did that. I have a second heater I use for my water changes. Maybe I should drop that in there and just remove it when I do them. Brrrr....

Day 29:  Where have all the nitrates gone? Is it because I have not added any source of ammonia? Do I need to go pick up some fish food and "feed" the tank? Probably going to wait at least another week before adding fish just to make sure things stay calm but wanted to make sure I didn't "reverse cycle" the tank and lose all the bacteria it's grown. Is that even possible? lol #uglyphase

Anallytics5.thumb.JPG.615816f42d272b915f214300a6d0344c.JPG_DSC2255.thumb.jpg.1f9f187516b9d3836a7d077fe7cdf8e4.jpg

Edited by surjer

The ugly phase has probably used up most of your nitrate, and your rock can process some of it too.  Many people will feed the tank just a little every couple days to keep the bacteria fed.  Time for some cleaner uppers it looks like to me!

Edited by Muttley000