A new 13.5 Evo

JeffInOhio

3 hours ago, surjer said:

What are you planning for the media tray? Also, Is that a raspberry pi in the background?

Filter floss on top. Chemi pure in the second and maybe more floss on the bottom? I dunno yet. I ended up ordering the second media basket today. I plan on turning that into a mini fuge. Using some rubble and cheato most likely

There are 2 Pi's there. I installed a DAChat on the top one with the red board. Im planning on turning that into a stereo for the house. The bottom one may become a game emulator sometime. If i don't find a use for it otherwise Or sell it.

Very cool, I think Eventually I will go the mini fuge route as well.  I think I may have got the wrong heater for mine because it looks a lot bigger than other ones I see and it does not fit in the last stage along with the return pump so mine is in bay 1. 

I haven't had much use for the raspberry pi's yet. Was considering using them to control some camera's but found other option to work out better.  Glad to see another "tinkerer" lol

Goodies arrived today.

The middle chamber basket came. Added about a pound of rubble to the bottom and a bag of carbon on the top for now. Cheato will occupy the center once i can get my hands on some.

IMG_1243.thumb.JPG.bb732eee61610206e7e422014e04c374.JPG

Decided to try the Cobalt heater as well. Smaller form factor to fit in the return chamber. Fits perfect. Nice little unit.

IMG_1242.thumb.JPG.02cb38d5a78a4ffb69556eb47fb6a0f9.JPG

4 hours ago, surjer said:

I’ve seen thae cobalt posted up in the evo forums as going bad so watch ur temp closely. I dont have any experience with it so may just be a few oddballs but wanted to pass on what i saw.

I’ve read good and bad as well. Hopefully I have no issues.

5 hours ago, surjer said:

I’ve seen thae cobalt posted up in the evo forums as going bad so watch ur temp closely. I dont have any experience with it so may just be a few oddballs but wanted to pass on what i saw.

I haven't found a heater that isn't prone to failing. Always a good idea to check in them regularly. 

Came last night and have it up and running. The shimmer affect with the led's is a bit much for my taste. I need to find a fix to get this angled or possibly sit a bit lower in the water. On the positive side my tests are coming in good. I'm getting critters and some tube worms starting to show themselves. If i can have the ammonia to 0 for consecutive days i should be good to go.

1557432187_IMG_1245108.thumb.JPG.1cedcc9212556cdaa5056c9b3c63d972.JPG

Added some zoas and a ricordia today. Also purchased a bi color dottyback but he’s being shy and hiding in the rock currently. 

BF28595F-8A97-486B-A54B-2725E3B81D50.jpeg

33F52CA2-4833-41C8-92EC-ECB33D23EBE9.jpeg

Edit: sorry for the crappy photos. It’s a phone and I’m no photographer. I promise they are colorful and seem to be opening rather quickly.

Edited by JeffInOhio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I came to realize that the stock pump is weak at best. To Amazon I went and these came in today. The Hydor is the nano version and works quite nice and is quiet. 

The Syncra return pump is heads above the stock pump. Glad I ordered the smallest one and not the 1.0. There’s plenty of water movement now without the Hydor. Probably the best upgrade I could have done so far. Besides the lights.

054EB898-4E7C-4E88-A4DD-88219CEC34F6.thumb.jpeg.3a825fd5c5b697bd870cb1547818c69c.jpeg

4EDB4389-C490-42EC-BC88-B867D750F4C6.jpeg

A quick vid to show just how good the return pump’s current is. This is the return only. The Hydor is turned off.

Edited by JeffInOhio

Hey Jeff, since adding the upgraded pump and the media basket, do you have an issue with it raising your water level to almost overflowing in your main display? Mine is crazy low in the back chambers and probably 6mm from spilling over.. I have the sicce 1.0 and I think maybe its too powerful?

Here’s a shot of the water levels in both the tank and the return chamber. The water line in the tank is about an inch from the top. That’s fine with me. The chamber side is actually a little low as I try to keep it level with the diffuser sticker on the tank. If that makes sense? The new pump certainly pushes a lot more water. I have it running full and like the current I get now. The 1.0 you got is probably overkill, have you tried turning the flow rate down?

Ohh, the media baskets are great. A bit pricy probably but would recommend them.

2AA46A0D-4D20-4F0A-B55C-6305B61863E0.jpeg

Edited by JeffInOhio

I wish mine were that low. My Display is just shy of the very top and the 3rd chamber the water level is just about 1/3rd up the chamber. Enough to cover the power head. The pump is on it's lowest setting. All i have in chamber 1 is some filter floss in the top rock and purigen pack in the middle section.