Learning as I go......

Jon Fishman

I will try to add pictures  (up to current)  after the fact,  because it's easier for me to type on the computer at work, and then use my phone to see what pictures I have.

I apologize in advance for my excessive and inappropriate use of ellipses,  and my love for Amazon......

NOTE:   I had never had a goldfish etc. prior to 2019........

Here is what I have going on right now  (sorry initial post will be wordy)   I bought my first "setup" about 2 months ago  (yeah,  only 2 months ago, and referring to it as "first"  )  I had gotten a bowl with some gravel and 2 glofish for my daughter, and she didn't listen to me, and she killed the 2 fish in just over 24 hours..... but she was excited,  so I let it go.    From there I go my first setup,  a random craigslist find listed below.

I Got a 46g bowfront with a hang-on back penguin 170 filter,  a HOB skimmer with upgraded pump  (I found the skimmer while shopping,  it is this one:  Blue Ocean PP75  https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ocean-Protein-Skimmer-Aquarium/dp/B01FRWUOGU/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?keywords=Protein+skimmer&pd_rd_i=B01FRWUOGU&pd_rd_r=21a3ad68-e0c6-461b-b973-2a0eb2f7cdf6&pd_rd_w=SxRqT&pd_rd_wg=pYVBy&pf_rd_p=5c5ea0d7-2437-4d8a-88a7-ea6f32aeac11&pf_rd_r=Y06WAKNS13XXFY5PQTCD&qid=1551979531&s=pet-supplies

It has a canister filter or something with a return etc. that goes under the tank..... honestly I thought when I got this,  that it was a "Sump" but I have since found I had no idea what I was doing.  There was a cheap powerhead  (not sure what kind)  that has suction cups that don't hold onto anything at this point.   It came with 35# of live rock,  crushed coral substrate, and 2 heaters  (no idea size etc)

With this setup/tank/stand it came with a few other things.    some LED light strips, a T5 light,  a bunch of extra filter media, nets, salt, a BUNCH of various test kits, and probably a bunch of other stuff that I can't think of, but feel it important to point out because I am very grateful I was able to find a "ready to go" setup that had been running for about 15 years.

So,  the setup was great because I got a crash course on how to setup the system,  I didn't need to "cycle" or anything because I had all the substrate, rocks, filter media, and I brought home buckets of water with me too.     This tank had no fish with it..... so it was setup over a couple of days  (I used  "RO drops" to dechlorinate tap water....)  and I waited probably 4 days, did multiple water tests,  took my water to the local store for tests TWICE,  and finally bought 6 fish and a Clean Up Crew.    I only regret 5 of the 6 fish I bought...... so not bad eh?    Either way,  I googled/questioned online "good easy starter fish"  to find something to put in my tank that was good/cheap,  I just didn't think compatibility with each other was terribly important because I figured I wouldn't have them long.    Either way,  I threw 2 domino damsels, a yellow-tail-blue, a 4 stripe damsel, a lemon and green Chromis in,  after acclimation,  and waited for them to show signs of stress/death from my tank conditions..........   and they lived......  I lost one crab after a few weeks,   maybe he needed a new shell,  no idea.    Eventually the Dominos killed the yellow tail and lemon Chromis.    The Green is big enough and the 4 stripe is fast enough,  but they are constantly being targeted by the dominos to this day.....    but I digress.  

I wanted more flow, and read it was important,  so I bought two of the 1,500 gph Hydor Koralis powerheads..... they work well,  I like them....   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036S1ETY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got a RODI filter:   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LKF3TCA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

a new Aquaclear 110 filter  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000260FV6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

then TDS meter, books, digital thermometer other "small" stuff,  but my Amazon order history is starting to look like a receipt from a CVS........

So.... for what I got,  I was pretty happy.... and the fish were doing well.    I wanted a new light so I could do some soft-corals eventually so I ordered a Current USA pro and it showed up D.O.A.,  and ordered a Mars Aqua box light deal,  300W  and it is doing just great.    I got this one:    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GX73YY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well,  a couple of days before the light arrived I went to my local store and long-story-short found out the Bubble Tip Anenome I have been looking at,  but telling them  "My tank isn't ready, My tank isn't ready"  had someone coming back that night to buy it...... so.....  I bought it, and told them I would come back for it!

So,  now I am quadruple checking my parameters, and bringing an Anemone home.   

Here is that setup in all it's glory.   It is currently setup at this time,  and it has been for about 2 months.......  but it will be empty in the next few days if all tests etc. go well!

I have to do some work here,  but I will provide a nice little write-up about the new aquarium in a minute!    I may have to go pretend to work for a bit..... but will update later.

01E36C74-BA04-4452-B385-A76CB01E309A.jpeg

DAD333EF-59C0-46A2-87CF-EC0C2B045466.jpeg

9C5684E9-6E83-45BF-BA6D-A31C17804592.jpeg

45A14BCC-01B6-4CA2-8487-3263AB3D1FC4.jpeg

Edited by Jon Fishman

So this is the current state of the 75g with sump I picked up from a member here.....  with all of the rock and his sand.  Kids picked the colors for stand and top......  it’s a long story......   

I also ordered a Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite protein skimmer today, that cost me more than the tank itself......    crazy hobby.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Bubble_Magus_Curve_5_Elite_Protein_Skimmer_with_Sicce_SK_200_In_Sump_Protein_Skimmers_for_Aquariums_Reefs-Bubble_Magus-4W5001-FIPSIS-vi.html

AF604FFA-AC80-4C6C-B535-794F558E4ED0.jpeg

93610A4B-A884-44EC-BE6A-69C078C567EA.jpeg

Edited by Jon Fishman

i mean absolutely no disrespect in saying this. please move slowly. i know it is a very exciting hobby but moving too fast will leave you discouraged when things go south. I would get rid of all the damsels as you will regret them later. If you must have damsels get a staghorn,talbots, or kupang. mixing different types of damsels can yield some unplesant results and i would never put a damsel as my first fish in my tank (dont worry i made that mistake as well). Also, nems can be finicky and covering your powerhead is a must as he will likely move around for a bit and can get chewed up. I am saying this to help you, not to be mean. I dont like seeing people who love the hobby get discouraged bc they were not advised properly. Good luck and we are here to help!

2 minutes ago, euphylin me said:

i mean absolutely no disrespect in saying this. please move slowly. i know it is a very exciting hobby but moving too fast will leave you discouraged when things go south. I would get rid of all the damsels as you will regret them later. If you must have damsels get a staghorn,talbots, or kupang. mixing different types of damsels can yield some unplesant results and i would never put a damsel as my first fish in my tank (dont worry i made that mistake as well). Also, nems can be finicky and covering your powerhead is a must as he will likely move around for a bit and can get chewed up. I am saying this to help you, not to be mean. I dont like seeing people who love the hobby get discouraged bc they were not advised properly. Good luck and we are here to help!

Powerheads are already covered,  I know I will keep forgetting small details etc,  but I am researching as I go......  and I am getting rid of all of the fish  (minus one that came with the new tank)    No damsels will be going in the new tank......   honestly the move of the Anenome to the new tank is the scariest part right now.   

The timing of the Anenome wasn't ideal  (I don't believe in waiting a year though..... that's crazy.... if my parameters are good,  they are good.....)

I am trying to do my due diligence,  hence my skimmer rated for 180 or 200 gallons or whatever it is......     

1 minute ago, Jon Fishman said:

Powerheads are already covered,  I know I will keep forgetting small details etc,  but I am researching as I go......  and I am getting rid of all of the fish  (minus one that came with the new tank)    No damsels will be going in the new tank......   honestly the move of the Anenome to the new tank is the scariest part right now.   

The timing of the Anenome wasn't ideal  (I don't believe in waiting a year though..... that's crazy.... if my parameters are good,  they are good.....)

I am trying to do my due diligence,  hence my skimmer rated for 180 or 200 gallons or whatever it is......     

ok awesome! and the main reason people recommend waiting a year (i say 6-8 months) is bc your tank will likely go through "the uglies". cyano,diatoms, green hair algea, bacterial blooms etc. at around the year mark is when your tank matures and everything tends to find a balance as long as you are keeping up on it. Im happy you are researching as that is more than most new hobbiest do lol. and as far as moving the nem....just take your time acclimating it and it should be fine!

Wow I knew you were in a rollorcoaster, I didn’t realize how big it was lol. Your parameters are probably fine but what the more delicate species need is stability. A ph of 7.9 is fine as is a 8.4. Alk of 7.5 can be just as fine as 10. Same thing with salinity. The problem is when you are learning all of these parameters are going to swing radically while you are figuring everything out. I would encourage you to hold off on the nem, if it helps I will give you a red one when you are ready but the tank and you just need more time IMO. There are plenty of stories of new tanks with difficult species but many more fail and that is in my opinion why so many leave the hobby in a short time

Where does one get chaeto?    Just go to my local store and ask for it?     Does it just grow floating in the water in the sump?    I am going to combine my skimmer with a fuge.   I will be using some extra LEDs for my refugium.  

At this rate I will have a controller before you know it.......  My next big purchase will likely be a digital tester for my water, and an ATO

Edited by Jon Fishman

7 minutes ago, Jon Fishman said:

Where does one get chaeto?    Just go to my local store and ask for it?     Does it just grow floating in the water in the sump?    I am going to combine my skimmer with a fuge.   I will be using some extra LEDs for my refugium.  

At this rate I will have a controller before you know it.......  My next big purchase will likely be a digital tester for my water, and an ATO

If you can wait, there are plenty of member that just give it away...where are you located?

4 minutes ago, Jon Fishman said:

Lakewood  (Cleveland)

I'm sure it's not much....   it's just a plant right?!?!     Do I dump a bunch of rocks in the sump?   rocks in the part with the Chaeto or nothing other than the chaeto?   

it depends. if it is a chambered sump you can do both. if not, go for chaeto. and no, dont go all out and buy a huge ball bc it grows very fast anyways. anything over 10-15 bucks for a tennis ball sized clump is overpriced. 

5 hours ago, Jon Fishman said:

Lakewood  (Cleveland)

I'm sure it's not much....   it's just a plant right?!?!     Do I dump a bunch of rocks in the sump?   rocks in the part with the Chaeto or nothing other than the chaeto?   

Here is a diagram that might help some! 

6fd80a4e576baf9d2f40981f9d18dcbe.jpg

I have rocks and chaeto in my sump, no sand. I had sand at one point, but decided to take it out for maintenance and cleaning. Just made it easier for me. I am using a kessil H80, and highly recommend the kessil lights. You can also get cheap grow lights off Amazon that work great too! Get a pink one. 

I love your story and progression. I was very much like you when I started out in the hobby as well. I think you are on the right path. Keep researching and ask questions along the way.

1 hour ago, music said:

Oh my gawd!  The stand cracked me up!  I figure that was a compromise you lost to daughters?  Fantastic!  Just keep reading.  You will get there.  And as you make mistakes come ask for assistance.  We will only make fun of you for doing the exact same things we did.  :)  

Ha.   It didn’t take much pushing.   I painted every door (each side) and every wall in my house a different color (maybe 40 different colors at least???!!!).    This is a glimpse to get the idea.....

That door and steps are a different color     Kids think we live in a “funhouse”

19706940-BED4-4EFF-9C79-352A483B66D9.jpeg

This is a great place to learn. I just reached the 1 year mark and with the advice of the people on this forum have had good success and minimal failure (but it still happens). What everyone will tell you is there are many ways to be successful. Doing the research that you are doing will pay if in the long run. Enjoy the process and take your time.

Should I put it deeper?   do the bubbles need to go higher right away, or should I run it like this for awhile and see if it starts collecting after a couple of hours?

They are nice pea-sized bubbles right now     I tried lower by an inch and it immediately overflows

81F3CB4E-75E5-42C5-A811-46783F4FB59E.jpeg

Edited by Jon Fishman