Learning as I go......

Jon Fishman

17 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

I’d let it run a while. You want the finest bubbles possible

Just looked for videos on the internet and apparently I should let it go 2-4 weeks and change the intake by one or so every 24 hours until I get my desired skim?     I will let it run and see if it starts creeping up the cylinder by tomorrow 

Thanks.    I was worried it was just way too low.

And, just to update.   I was able to put the top on now, and also you can laugh at my “aquascape” which I put precisely zero thought into, and yes, I poured the sand in, and thought “I want a deep end!” So I did that intentionally too......    either way....  here is my jankety aquascape.   

And even with 5 powerheads running now, I feel I need more because they are so restricted by covering them.   I think I will look into better covers I can buy for them, that won’t restrict flow.

FB1B6242-FECC-46E8-8D92-13073DD1943A.jpeg

C796BCCD-8E41-4811-B4EA-5B753A56633E.jpeg

917B6559-B1DF-4BA7-BAA3-AF3693BEEBEF.jpeg

I removed the white cap from the overflow drain and the cup fills (I am only at 3/4” total so far but it is a really nice dark brown skim) but I have a bottle setup to bypass the collection cup, so I never have to worry about it overflowing the cup.    

Am I missing something?    I hate to pull it out and look closer since I am trying to dial it in still and I am really happy with the skim it is producing 

4 hours ago, Jon Fishman said:

I removed the white cap from the overflow drain and the cup fills (I am only at 3/4” total so far but it is a really nice dark brown skim) but I have a bottle setup to bypass the collection cup, so I never have to worry about it overflowing the cup.    

Am I missing something?    I hate to pull it out and look closer since I am trying to dial it in still and I am really happy with the skim it is producing 

Where is your bottle?  You don't have to worry about it overflowing the cup, but still need to worry about it overflowing the bottle.  Generally if the cup overlows, since the skimmer is sitting in the sump, it just overflows back into the sump.  Assuming your bottle is not in the sump, but outside of the sump, overflowing will equal wet floor.

My local shop.    Went in to grab a big ball of Chaeto they held onto for me, a couple more shrimp, hermits and some snails to handle the bigger tank, and saw it hanging out in the substrate.    They had a really big one, but patience will save me a lot of money!   

It is a “Green Hairy Mushroom”      If other colors exist, it may make a nice cover for a rock or two

The Xenia (?) they had growing like a weed was tempting though too.     

Edited by Jon Fishman

After reading enough to make my head spin,  I think I'm ready to tear the tank down, and start over.   I am not in the mood to fight dino's for 6mo-1yr or more.....    I'm reading that it's in the corals etc. so the coral I got with the new tank etc. will all need to go  (do you scrape it off the rock and keep the rocks?) 

Should I fill a brute trash-can with saltwater and just toss all rock etc in there with a lid and no light for a month or more to keep them cured, but also kill any dino?    I don't think I have it in me to keep the puffer, anemone etc. so I will have to rehome them,  because it may be months before I can get the tank up and running again.  

I still probably won't go bare-bottom,  so I guess I will need to research a new substrate etc.      What should I do as far as treating everything  (powerheads, overflows, heaters etc. etc.)    Soak everything in vinegar?

I was tempted to buy a gallon of Copepod solution  (it claims 48k pods) but I don't want to throw away money on the problem..... if it were that easy everyone would do it.

What all should I do for a complete tear down?

Bleach running in the system to kill everything, although I would encourage you to give it time before going that route.  Most tanks go through it in some form and it cycles away.  What are your nutrient levels?  Many stories out there of getting them under control by raising nitrates and phosphates.