Learning as I go......

Jon Fishman

3 hours ago, crimsonvice said:

Pretty cool! What kind of care does it require? Are you gonna lose a finger? 

Pretty easy to care for.    Big enclosure, and food.   Heater hidden in the rocks.    Heat lamp.   Land/water area.

Yes....   I fully intend on losing a finger.....

0B78C171-4229-493D-993C-C056B4449679.thumb.jpeg.4a3e3baecf9de2a47fba58f38084cc4c.jpeg

Question for the experts.     I’ve never done any glass work.....    The two things I’m thinking of, are shortening the overflows (it’s dual) and putting in a “baffle” to make 2/3 water and the rest dry.

1). Can I cut out and completely remove the glass overflows and just use an open pipe/mesh over it to drain the water to a sump with a return pump in the sump to return water to the display? 

2) Can I drill a few holes in the overflow at a lower level where I want the water level to be?

3) is there an easier filtration method than sump for this?

You can remove the overflows easy enough. I would cut the pipe at the height you want the water and herbie it and hide it with rocks. I would use the other as a return and just let the water bubble up out of it at the water level. I’m not sure I would go 2/3. Id go more like halfish. For filtration, you want to use filter floss for sure. And a gravel bubbler would be a good idea. Also bio balls wouldn’t be a bad idea. You will need to keep up on water changes as his poop is thicker and a lot more than a fish. And he will do it in the water 95% of the time. 

I’m super excited. Lol

Also in my small gator tank I used a Rubbermaid tub. Cut one end out of it. Turned it upside down and covered it with gravel. Then used rocks to build up a “ramp” so he could get to dry land. 

Knowing me, I will try to make it look good with rocks, driftwood etc.     I have to look at it everyday!

I’m not sure how the overflows are sealed in.    I will have to look and get pictures when I get it inside and cleaned up.    Has a full glass top too.     Pretty pumped for it to be up and running 

I removed some plastic ones in a 90 I still use after a year or two without issues. I was just careful not to disturb the silicone for the tank itself. I expect the bracing will be challenging to remove and I wouldn’t try to take it off if you can avoid it. I would try to leave it in place then just silicone a new piece of bracing along the back glass in the void you create and then seal it by putting a new piece of glass over the top of the hole. That’s the way I would go about it and I hope that makes sense.

Ok.   both were removed last night.    I will be siliconing a piece of glass to cover the holes.    I will try to cut one of the pieces myself, I have a lot if extra glass now.   

I didn’t remove the bottom braces and the seems all look good.  

My project today is researching how to cut glass,  deciding on what sump to rig up, and cleaning up the inside of the tank