Tank size opinions

Ok guys, I have a question for the gallery. First here is the back story. It has been almost two years to the day that I had to breakdown my 120. I have waited long enough. Since I have gotten the ball rolling by starting funding I guess it is time to make a few decisions. For starters, every tank I have owned has been a deal from someone getting out of the hobby, therefore they were never really my brainchild. Granted you can make some changes once setup but not all. I plan to piece this build together how I would like from the beginning. 

The first question is size. I have always imagined my dream size was 210 or 220 (6 foot)The largest I have had prior is 120 and I think the 4 foot foot print is ideal when your talking efficiency for what you get. Some of my reasons for considering the bigger size are 1. More room under the hood for refuge and other toys and 2. I have felt a little limited fish wise with 120. My primary reservation with the bigger tank is more water volume means more monthly maintenance costs. I guess I after all that I was just looking for opinions for or against from anyone who has or has had tanks in the size range. I apologize for the huge post I guess I’m just excited to get the hamster wheel rolling. Thanks in advance.

Glad to see you coming back!  I would say the 6' length unlocks a lot of livestock options, especially with tangs if that's your thing.  Are you going full reef or fish only?  I didn't see much difference in my monthly costs when my system size doubled, but I am not doing regular water changes any longer either. Sure you are going to buy a little more electricity for water movement and heaters, but in my opinion this is really negligible compared to salt costs since LEDs have made running more lighting so inexpensive.  Can't wait to see what you come up with!

54 minutes ago, Jimmybtown said:

Ok guys, I have a question for the gallery. First here is the back story. It has been almost two years to the day that I had to breakdown my 120. I have waited long enough. Since I have gotten the ball rolling by starting funding I guess it is time to make a few decisions. For starters, every tank I have owned has been a deal from someone getting out of the hobby, therefore they were never really my brainchild. Granted you can make some changes once setup but not all. I plan to piece this build together how I would like from the beginning. 

The first question is size. I have always imagined my dream size was 210 or 220 (6 foot)The largest I have had prior is 120 and I think the 4 foot foot print is ideal when your talking efficiency for what you get. Some of my reasons for considering the bigger size are 1. More room under the hood for refuge and other toys and 2. I have felt a little limited fish wise with 120. My primary reservation with the bigger tank is more water volume means more monthly maintenance costs. I guess I after all that I was just looking for opinions for or against from anyone who has or has had tanks in the size range. I apologize for the huge post I guess I’m just excited to get the hamster wheel rolling. Thanks in advance.

no worries and as far as maintenance route. i wouldnt say it isnt a huge difference. if you set it up to really control nitrates and phosphates you dont necessarily need to do huge water changes. at that size, dosing will be what is recommended as water changes arent effecient or practical. at the 120g mark thats normally the verge of water changes vs dosing but at 200+ i would do the dosing route depending on what you are trying to keep. now the price for running a tank that size will obviously be greater (electricity consumption) 

Edited by euphylin me

Thanks guys. @euphylin me that’s a good point about water changes since I have always had 120 and below I have never considered them optional. I will definitely need to research that more. @Muttley000 I am a mixed reefer and yes tangs are a must have. I always think of monthly cost as salt, rodi replacement, dosing, etc. The one I neglect to think of is the electricity. Interesting to see the difference. 

Thanks again 

5 minutes ago, Jimmybtown said:

Thanks guys. @euphylin me that’s a good point about water changes since I have always had 120 and below I have never considered them optional. I will definitely need to research that more. @Muttley000 I am a mixed reefer and yes tangs are a must have. I always think of monthly cost as salt, rodi replacement, dosing, etc. The one I neglect to think of is the electricity. Interesting to see the difference. 

Thanks again 

np in my post i edited it to say "isnt a huge difference" lol i didnt mean to say it is a huge difference.

Honestly, I think the energy is the least of you concerns. You most likely will be running similar equipment on a 120 compared to a 210/220, so you energy consumption is not really going to be that much different. You probably just be adding one more light (if you go with the 24x24" led rule). 

Water changes... MEH... who needs 'em.

Sounds like you have already convinced yourself on the 220 anyway. So who are we to ruin your dreams??? If you've come looking for us to talk you out of it, your in the wrong place. We will only talk you into a 300DD or bigger! :1474114222_32(1):

Find big ised equipment.   My local shops have 300+ gallon rated skimmers etc that were less than my new 130g one.  

Also, if I were building from scratch I would do a ginormous, yet ACCESSIBLE (I don’t have a basement so planning is key) sump.     Bigger sump will make everything easier.    If I could do a 75g sump with my 75g tank I would be running 200lbs of live rock right now.   

Exactly. @Jon Fishman The bigger water volume the better.  if it’s a 6-8 foot stand it will be all water under there. I’m limited to to what’s under the tank for sump. People who can plumb to the basement or even better a fish room are so lucky. 

I have actually been considering building the stand a little oversized to get more space. I’m putting what will most likely be a 6 foot tank on an 8 foot wall so considering maybe a 7 or 8 foot stand. 

Side note: I wonder if many in this forum have done much fabrication of their own steel stands. I am going that route as well to give a little extra space under the tank.