• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Acropora Growth

rjchiles

What do people use to get measurable growth for their Acro's?

Currently I use 3 Radion pro gen 4 running AB+ at 50% for 13 hours a day with sunset at 7am and 8pm

I have 2 mp40's and 2 maxpect Gyre 350's for flow. mp40's are running WWC spec 's. Gyres are running OGC 

I also feed Red Sea A & B daily for food. And dose ALk and Calc daily from my Apex DOS.

Water changes are done 10-15% on a weekly basis.

What are the things others are doing? Anything you think  I should add or change?

What is your nitrate and phosphate at?  I am reading more and more that all needs toner at different levels based on nutrients. I keep my alk about 8 and I see more growth when my tank is dirtier. All that said I wonder if stability is just the key once the needed ingredients are there

What I find most important is finding the sweet spot for light intensity and alk, based on your tank nutrient level. AND then maintaining these levels.

Tanks with higher nutrients, can handle more light and like higher alk.  Low nutrient,  low light, low alk.

Establishing a firm routine in regard to nutrient export and import (i.e., feeding) is most critical for stability.  Doing things wildly-nilly will eventually cause instability.

This post assumes that nutrients ate kept within normal ranges.  If they are too high, you'll have problems no matter what.

Hope this helps 

I run gfo to keep phosphate below .06
Nitrate has been reading 3 or less

I feed once per day via auto feeder modestly in addition to the Red Sea A &b

Alk is measured daily and I keep in the 8.1 to 8.5 range. Starting to get an uptick in Alkalinity consumption.
I am currently seeing growth, but need to bust out a plastic ruler to really start gauging.

I also need to measure the PAR readings in the tank to know my light zones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by rjchiles

• 3 weeks later...

So , I have really only started Acro's in earnest. starting in FEB. Everything looks happy currently. Green slimer has really encrusted. others have as well. At what point should I expect measurable growth outside of encrusting? Right now, I am not seeing much.

On another note, what are people's feeding routines? stuff they add daily. Stuff they add weekly?Bi-weekly?

4 minutes ago, Dr.Fraggenstien said:

It really seems to depend on the piece,  and the placement.

I don't feed anything beside the fish 

what about supplements? I keep hearing about "fuel" that people are adding.

1 hour ago, rjchiles said:

So , I have really only started Acro's in earnest. starting in FEB. Everything looks happy currently. Green slimer has really encrusted. others have as well. At what point should I expect measurable growth outside of encrusting? Right now, I am not seeing much.

On another note, what are people's feeding routines? stuff they add daily. Stuff they add weekly?Bi-weekly?

I would start taking pictures. Sometimes you won't notice growth by looking at it every day.

1 hour ago, rjchiles said:

what about supplements? I keep hearing about "fuel" that people are adding.

I do use Fuel. Seems to add additional supplements. Not sure if it actually does anything or not. Everything seems healthy tho.