My 180 upgrade

Sevitz5

• 3 weeks later...

As most of you know, I’ve been having problems keeping my sps colonies alive. I am trying to go through a process of elimination of what I know works vs what I did with the tank. One thing is the amount of rock....I know they recommend 1lb per gallon, but I had only used about 120lbs in my 180, so I was a little light on rock. To combat this, I have replumbed the drain from my frag tank. It had drained back into my sump....I redid it to drain into another 20gal container that I filled with about 45lbs of live rock. I then have an overflow coming from that back into my sump. The current grow into the container is 100gph plus I added a Mag 5 pump in it just to keep the water movement high. 
Anyone see a problem with this? I figure I ought to put some snails, pods, and crabs in there once it’s been running awhile....any other ideas?

F8E3CFB9-F64E-4E3C-B9A4-A760D62FCD77.jpeg

977F21B6-BE82-462C-96A4-75F8375C1A69.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

I would think that would be a great addition to your system. I would add the pods for sure. I would skip the snails unless you are planning on lighting it. Also if you are not lighting it maybe you could find some sponge pieces to add to get a cryptic fuge going!

Explain the cryptic Fuge..... I’ve never heard of that

1 hour ago, Sevitz5 said:

Explain the cryptic Fuge..... I’ve never heard of that

It’s a concept Steve Tyree pushed. Thought is the sponges become a living part of the filtration and cryptic worms release coral food into the water. I have one on my system with a 75 gallon Rubbermaid I look in every 6 months or so. Lots of sponges and little feather duster things grow in there. Does it help my system?  I can’t really say, but I don’t see how it can hurt!

35 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

It’s a concept Steve Tyree pushed. Thought is the sponges become a living part of the filtration and cryptic worms release coral food into the water. I have one on my system with a 75 gallon Rubbermaid I look in every 6 months or so. Lots of sponges and little feather duster things grow in there. Does it help my system?  I can’t really say, but I don’t see how it can hurt!

Ok sounds interesting. How do you “seed” it to get it started?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...