• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sump

Is it worth it for one of these $550 Trigger sumps?   Only 39 total gallon capacity?!?!?     I am bailing on my 55g sump for my build, and I kinda want the bells and whistles of adjustable skimmer section etc, but seriously?    If I pay $500 I can’t get a 5’ long sump so I have more volume etc!!   

My problem is......  Between the 4x4’s that are in the stand for extra support, I can only fit up to 18” wide sump.......   The Trigger 39 seems like a perfect fit, but I would like a much larger capacity.   Any recommendations?     I hate the idea of me trying to build something, and the 55 got scrapped for being too tall (but I could make it work, but it would suck)

Trigger are way over priced for what you get in my opinion. If you are going for a "display" sump I would look into a few options and evaluate what you like about each model, price point, and dimensions. 

I would look at Synergy, Bashsea, Geo, Crystal Reef Aquatics... I am sure there are more companies like Zen Reef, but they don't advertise sumps but they build them. 

Wow that is nice though.    So no Trigger?  The “Amethyst 39”  for $480 on fishtanks direct has my attention......

I will look into the other brands you mentioned.    What feature do I really want?!?!?   I would hope I wouldn’t feel let-down by a $500 sump!!! 

Edit    It’s gonna be inside a cabinet.....   so function is more important than form

Edited by Jon Fishman

Just my $.02. The Bashsea products are well worth their cost. I have the 48" signature series II sump, 2x 6x24 skimmers, 2x waste collectors, and 2x 8x30 bioreactors. The sump is awesome. Every section after the filter socks is adjustable, cord management holes all over as well as various dosing line holes and probe holders, the 3/8" acrylic gives me a huge piece of mind in case I slip and bang into it.

It's probably smaller than your looking for but I have a Ferrari red 36" signature series sump that's brand new that I am willing to part with at less than retail.

The finalists are the 36” Bashsea smart, Trigger V2 44”. and Trigger Amethyst 39

The larger Bashea’s are more than I want to spend.

The “Ferarri Red” just adds expense.....  color isn’t really important to me!

Edited by Jon Fishman

1 hour ago, Jon Fishman said:

The finalists are the 36” Bashsea smart, Trigger V2 44”. and Trigger Amethyst 39

The larger Bashea’s are more than I want to spend.

The “Ferarri Red” just adds expense.....  color isn’t really important to me!

It's all up to personal preference. I have the series before the Smart Series, and I like the improvements that were made to the newer version.

I agree Bashsea is a quality product and you won't be disappointed. However there are probably other great options as well.

Like I said, it's all personal preference and what your budget will allow. 

Bought a Trigger 39.    Best compromise I could find in Price/size/features.     I really like the removeable silt sock/ foam media thing.   makes changing really easy

My tank is only 106g so I should have plenty of volume.    I will probably spend the saved cash on a used Kessil for a fuge light

Edited by Jon Fishman