curious if anyone knows

So i read a prediction today that stated the toxic blue-green algae bloom in the western basin of Lake Erie will be worse this year. Does anyone know if RODI units are sufficient in stopping the spores or would a UV sterilizer be the better route. When it was bad a couple of years ago, i just bought distilled water from the grocery store to fill in as RODI water until the situation calmed down

Edited by euphylin me

I heard the same about the algae. I can’t figure out how it’s going to be bad. Farmers haven’t been able to get into the fields because it’s too wet, so where is all the phosphate coming from. Oh wait the city of Toledo’s sewage and all the runoff from the landfills by the lake!!!  But I’m on city of Toledo water system, so I’m curious as to the RODI thing as well. The new filtration system that has been installed for Toledo and the fact they will be watching better should help some. 

from my limited agricultural understanding, phosphorous does not move through the soil very fast. Typically, excess phosphorous doesnt make it past the top layer of soil. My guess would be that the excess phosphorous from last year is now run off into lake Erie, thus elevating the levels. then as the water warms, algae becomes more prevalent and elevated phosphorous would aid in a bloom

1 minute ago, Fishoutofwater said:

My point was actually about the B.S. city people solely blaming farmers for the algae. Farmers don’t spread excess fertilizer to let it get washed away. It’s dumb and really expensive. But I do see lawn businesses spreading fertilizer everyday just before rain and unregulated. 

There is more raw sewage being dumped into the Maumee river and fed into the lake than runoff from farmers. This is off topic though so I won't derail OP's post and concerns. A new thread could be started for this one.

Just now, Fishoutofwater said:

My point was actually about the B.S. city people solely blaming farmers for the algae. Farmers don’t spread excess fertilizer to let it get washed away. It’s dumb and really expensive. But I do see lawn businesses spreading fertilizer everyday just before rain and unregulated. 

yea i wasnt a firm believer in farmers being the sole reason for it. most farmers know that if phosphorous is applied before a heavy rain fall it would just wash out....but lawn care companies dont care. that just means the customer needs another application (more money).

Ah yes, divert attention from your own corruption and blame the people with no say in how things are done lol  classic big city politics

found this that may give some comfort

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/2016/08/29/Reverse-osmosis-seen-as-solution-for-toxin.html

There is a new start up in Detroit that will market while house DI systems. I only heard about it because some big money names were involved. Don’t know any details 

Basically because being on a city system you are paying (per gallon/or set stages )for your water then you are paying for waste to return said water in a formula based ratio.  RODI makes a lot of (waste) water that is actually good water. That is wasted clean water. It would be really optimal if you could say save all said bypassed water and use again or for other purposes that would make it (greener) per se. but the logistics of that on a mass scale are beyond doing. 

I guess what would need to be known is the size of the spores. And then check to see if your rodi filters out that small. I’m pretty sure that even if it some did get through, the saltwater would kill any spores before they would bloom. 

19 minutes ago, Joe said:

I guess what would need to be known is the size of the spores. And then check to see if your rodi filters out that small. I’m pretty sure that even if it some did get through, the saltwater would kill any spores before they would bloom. 

well....i guess the answer is no lol. i looked it up and algae spores are 25-100x smaller than bacteria. ranging from .004 microns to .10. oops read it wrong that is for viruses lol. i just read that alot of algae can be filtered out by 10 micron filtration

Edited by euphylin me