Jake's Reefer 250

jakesweep

On 9/29/2019 at 8:18 PM, Muttley000 said:

Go slow drilling that 5.5.  The super thin tanks are a test of your steadiness!  

I totally destroyed that tank LOL. I think it would help to have a drill press for those tanks.

I did however have another tank hanging around... and it actually works out much better I think. It's a 6.5 gallon AIO which is a little more room. It was easy to drill since the glass was a bit thicker, and this gives me a solid refugium size of 10% of the current water volume.

IMG_0480.thumb.JPG.8934688eaf59c551be29e42b2254d9a0.JPG

IMG_0481.thumb.JPG.2138afe315fee64015e71510577e48bb.JPG

I ended up having to fashion a riser to get the drain up high enough to empty into the sump. Easy enough.

IMG_0483.thumb.JPG.ef4353b7863b8ddbfcc198e3ef38bba5.JPG

I had to get all of this done by today because a package of Chaeto and Pods came in from AlgaeBarn. After filling the refugium and tossing in the Chaeto and Pods (and a couple of sweet Bikini Bottom landmarks), here's what it looks like!

IMG_0484.thumb.JPG.c9fefae777e5c7e457c7896145ae9908.JPG

IMG_0485.thumb.JPG.c1347532f30214bd7bfa0167877a183d.JPG

Edited by jakesweep

Not much of an update this week. I'm heading to Canada in a week, so I'm prepping to leave the tank in the care of my kids and inlaws. :unsure:

Really though, I feel like my daughter can handle things just fine. There shouldn't be much to do besides feed the fish and scrape the glass. I'll be leaving a daily checklist and having someone knowledgeable on call for emergencies. I'll have the RODI tank full and a fresh batch of saltwater mixing before I head out. Having a Apex helps too.

Today I did pump and powerhead maintenance. This is the first time I've pulled the return pump and serviced it. There was a fair bit of gunk in there to clean out. The whole process went smoothly and the Varios 6 was super easy to dismantle and reassemble.

Here's everything soaking in a 50/50 RODI + Vinegar bath:

IMG_0493.thumb.JPG.64712500bd79a780f1d49dd443fe6209.JPG

The Vortech MP10s are super easy to maintain as well. They got the same treatment although I've been tearing them down every month or so. I'll probably service the return pump every 3 months.

The tank is doing great though! I've been scrubbing hair algae off of the rocks and paired with a big water change last week, I dare say I was able to get it under control before it got bad. Fingers crossed. I'm running a bit of GFO and with the new refugium setup, I feel like nutrients will be easier to keep under control

Here are a couple of FTS from this week:

Daytime

fts_20191005.thumb.jpg.aeb10d7d1190be922b9b8e405231bee6.jpg

Nighttime

IMG_0492.thumb.JPG.1573531d111d386e313f62a9dfd37213.JPG

Edited by jakesweep

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey all!

Sorry I've been away for so long, and sorry I missed those comments above. Life and work got a little....hectic. @Ronnyking I know this is about 6 months too late, but I do like the lights just fine. I wish they were easier to control, but they are great once you get them dialed in. I think 3 would be overkill. I have two of them and they are dialed back quite a bit.

In other news, it looks like we are going to be moving back out to Colorado in the near future and now I have to figure out how to tear down this tank and sell everything. I'll be posting a lot of stuff soon once I figure out how to do all of this and how much to list things for.

I hope you all are safe and healthy. I'm going to go catch up on the progress of all your tanks! :)

• 4 weeks later...