Jon Fishman

Zoa Rock.... filtration benefit or ?

I would have to look through my phone for a good pic,  but I bought a beautiful purple rock from the local shop that had a dozen or so zoa polyps on it  (I'm guessing the orange ones aren't zoas... maybe they are something else?)  and there are green zoas on it that look great, very bright,  but are barely noticeable through the large amount of orange/peach/fuchsia ones?    Either way.... rock is COVERED with these now.... they apparently were very aggressive growers.   I just don't care for the look of it,  but the rock is kinda needed.....  I need more rock actually.    I noticed (as it's in the front corner of the tank)  tons of 'bugs' I'm guessing pods,  are calling this thing home.   If I sump the rock for long enough,  any chance I have enough die-off that I can reintroduce the rock to my display,  or is there a way to nuke these things without losing all the beneficial bacteria the rock has?

Is the rock + zoas/things better filtration wise vs. just the rock/coraline that is on it?   Any benefit to keeping the growth alive on it?

E922CAB0-67A8-4C18-9429-1BD153383AB7.thumb.jpeg.abb17b9bf218342d6f4e5a49fa142022.jpeg

This is the rock.  I may use the green ones as my first attempt to frag something because I like those......    You can kinda tell the length of the tube-body they have too.   They aren’t bad, just wish my fancy purchased ones would grow this fast!

I agree with Muttley. Placing it in the sump may eliminate some life, but it isnt going to totally die off. Most likely the zoas will stay alive just not spread as fast. I would sump a new piece of rock to add filtration, then place that in your sump for a few days and shake it periodically to knock loose pods in the water column. Then trade it or do whatever. 

37 minutes ago, euphylin me said:

how big is the rock? i have some rock that has been seeded (has some pods) but no coral or anything else on it

Probably 5lbs or so.   It’s fairly pourous...

49 minutes ago, Jon Fishman said:

I might fill the sump with those marine-pure blocks.   but wow are they expensive......    They work well?!?!

From what I've read they do their job well, but may leach aluminum into the water.  Lots of debate on whether that's true and whether it affects anything.

1 minute ago, Jon Fishman said:

I may be willing to try them out.    If it caused widespread crashes there would be public outrage I’m assuming 

that was my exact thought when i bought them. for this tank i am not keeping anything super sensitive anyways

Edited by euphylin me

25 minutes ago, euphylin me said:

that was my exact thought when i bought them. for this tank i am not keeping anything super sensitive anyways

Where is the cheapest place to buy them?   Probably only carried by the “big boys” like BRS I assume?

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy the 60lb  (yep,  60) dry rock at my local shop.....  it's a drilled/with holes through it,  nice elongated piece.....   not looking forward to spending that much money on a freakin' rock......  but I need a nice looking centerpiece for my rock-scape.

Personally with all the hitch hikes on live rock, I prefer to use marine pure bricks, or seed my own sterile rock. Just my personal preference after fighting off some nasty hitch hikers.