Sign in to follow this  
surjer

55g brainstorm

SO, I am currently renting and I am in an older house. Not going to do a big big tank yet because I want to wait until I get into a different house at some point. So, Until then I want to do another 55 gallon salty tank. The last time I did one it was FOWLR. It was just a normal 55g tank and I used a hang on the back filter and a phosban reactor along with a couple of power heads circulating water in the tank. (Was before these sweet wave makers were a thing). I don't want to dive into running a sump or anything just yet so I started thinking. Would there be a way for my to get some sort of overflow box and convert that sucker to an AIO kinda like my EVO? Is this a stupid idea?  I'm a fairly decent tinkerer so I would imagine it could be done with something like an overflow box? Thoughts?

Clicky Clicky Overflow box

I think it could be done theoretically. A 55 isn’t very big front to back though. So your taking a tank that’s like 13” and making it more narrow with that setup.  However you could likely take a piece of glass and silicone it say like 8-10” from one end, full height and section off an end to do the same thing. People do essentially the same thing when making their own sump. Then you could do your filtration stuff in that end. Just a thought I don’t know lol. 

8 hours ago, Fishoutofwater said:

I think it could be done theoretically. A 55 isn’t very big front to back though. So your taking a tank that’s like 13” and making it more narrow with that setup.  However you could likely take a piece of glass and silicone it say like 8-10” from one end, full height and section off an end to do the same thing. People do essentially the same thing when making their own sump. Then you could do your filtration stuff in that end. Just a thought I don’t know lol. 

That's a better description of what I was trying to say, and I've been thinking about this ever since to maybe make an office tank out of a 20 or 30 long.  Need a good way to hide the sump section that doesn't look wierd though

The reason I want to avoid a sump for now is 1 additional weight, 2 cost. I don't want to send a fishtank into the basement. lol This is a pretty old house and (i dont own it) so big damage would put me in a world of hurt and I cant exactly reinforce his floor for him. So, trying to be smart about it. Plus, I have seen several normal 55g tanks for like 200-400 bucks but none of them are drilled or have an overflow. I wonder if I wouldnt be able to find one of those corner overflows like in this link. OVERFLOW LINKY Maybe get two of those and run a piece of pvc between the two sides. One side for the intake and the other for the return pump and heater and stuff. Would suck water in one side of the tank and blow it out the other. Idea sounds legit in my head BUT, I may be missing something really big here. If a HOB filter worked before, this would have to work way better i think.

On 6/15/2019 at 8:54 PM, surjer said:

Think i just scored a 55 with stand for 100 bux

If it falls through,   I've got a 75, plus overflow, plus sump, plus stand  for a hundred bucks......

Don't sell those old houses short......  built like tanks.....