When to switch to calcium reactor

Sevitz5

I currently have a 110 gal SPS dominant tank that I dose 90 ml/day of Alk and 90 ml/day of Ca. I’m using ESV b-ionic with a GHL doser and all is good, but I’m upgrading to a 180 in a couple months and worried the dosing is gonna get expensive. I understand the initial startup of a Ca reactor is expensive, but you can find used setups fairly reasonable.

At what point dose a guy start thinking about switching to the reactor?

77119F0A-6BEE-4329-B6E6-E4059051E508.thumb.jpeg.a66d1289a0e76c3e7264bed4243cf795.jpeg

Invest in a good feed pump and co2 reg  and controller (IF YOU DONT HAVE A APEX)and it will be a god save!!! Set it for get it for the most part as things grow or you add more sps you can adjust for the uptake or set a doser to add a little alk and calcium to make up the small difference which ever you prefer 

Get a good media like reborn doesnt plug up as easy as finer media does.i use arm extra course for this reason and i added magnesium chips so i dont have to dose any magnesium 

Once in a while you might have to dose a little for exra growth or more for new stock while you fine adjust the reactor

I would never run another tank with out one just so much easier

I use a geo 6x24 reactor with a carbon doser reg and a kromer feed pump and a co2 controller

I can use my apex to shut down the feed pump as extra safety measures. The co2 controller keeps my ph at 6.5 in the reactor to melt the media any lower it shuts off the co2

Above 6.5 it turns on and allows co2 to enter the reactor .i have flow out of the reactor at 30ml and the co2 is at 3 bubbles per sec

Really its that easy if you buy the right equipment at the start also pull through the reactor insteand of pushing thru it

I also use kalk thru my auto top off that helps with the low ph of the effluent from the reactor output. 

Some use a second chamber to help use up any left over co2 left in the effluent this raises its ph a little

My tank runs around 8.3  to 8.4 ph

6 hours ago, Zaireguy said:

Invest in a good feed pump and co2 reg  and controller (IF YOU DONT HAVE A APEX)and it will be a god save!!! Set it for get it for the most part as things grow or you add more sps you can adjust for the uptake or set a doser to add a little alk and calcium to make up the small difference which ever you prefer 

Get a good media like reborn doesnt plug up as easy as finer media does.i use arm extra course for this reason and i added magnesium chips so i dont have to dose any magnesium 

Once in a while you might have to dose a little for exra growth or more for new stock while you fine adjust the reactor

I use a geo 6x24 reactor with a carbon doser reg and a kromer feed pump and a co2 controller

I can use my apex to shut down the feed pump as extra safety measures. The co2 controller keeps my ph at 6.5 in the reactor to melt the media any lower it shuts off the co2

Above 6.5 it turns on and allows co2 to enter the reactor .i have flow out of the reactor at 30ml and the co2 is at 3 bubbles per sec

Really its that easy if you buy the right equipment at the start also pull through the reactor insteand of pushing thru it

I also use kalk thru my auto top off that helps with the low ph of the effluent from the reactor output. 

Some use a second chamber to help use up any left over co2 left in the effluent this raises its ph a little

This sounds about like the set up I have envisioned. I always hear great things about that Kamoer pump, and with the Trident finally avaliable adjusting dosing just got easier!  Care to share associated Apex code?

7 hours ago, Zaireguy said:

I’m starting to compile parts, I found a 20lb CO2 tank locally for $30 I’m going to pick up. Is there a particular regulator that you recommend?

@Muttley000  here is some common code 

CaCirc_3_1 (physical circulation pump outlet)
Fallback ON 
Set ON 
If Outlet CaRx_Maint = ON Then OFF 
If Outlet CaRx_FlowAL = ON Then OFF

CaPump_3_4 (Physical feed pump outlet)
Fallback OFF 
OSC 000:00/005:00/005:00 Then ON 
If pH > 6.7   Then ON 
If pH < 6.5   Then OFF 
If Outlet CaRx_Maint = ON Then OFF 

CO2_3_8 (physical outlet for CO2 solenoid)
Fallback OFF 
If pH_Ca > 6.50 Then ON 
If pH_Ca < 6.50 Then OFF 
If pH < 8.00 Then OFF 
If Outlet CaCirc_3_1 = OFF Then OFF
If Outlet CO2_Low = ON Then OFF

If you have a trident and a dose.you can have the reactor do about 90 to 95%of the work and let the dose do the rest along with the trident testing.the trident will work with the dose to help keep your numbers where you want them(they call it controlled dosing)

The best way to have your numbers as constant as possible.this way you dont have to worry about over shooting with your reactor

You are ready for a CA Reactor when you feel you are spending to much on dosing supplies. How much is to much is up to you.

I run a Precision Marine 6 X 24 Calcium Reactor W/Eheim Pump and feed from a line from my return pump. I have a carbondoser electronic co2 regulator and a 20 or 25 pound co2 tank, I can not remember now what size it is. The bigger the tank the less you have to get it refilled. I have no controller, I just go with my ALK tests to make my adjustments.

Been running it this way since July 2004, The setup works other than the Eheim pump is glued to the reactor. To me this was a mistake Precision Marine made in the design. I have no way to rep[lace it other than break it off, I have found several videos on how to get it off. The pump is just now seeming like it needs some work done on it. 

I am currently waiting on a new reactor to be built. I ordered an 8" Automated Calcium Reactor from Aquarium Engineering. 

@Sevitz5 I run a 10lb tank on my 300.  Lasts me about 9 months generally.  I also would not go with the carbon doser for concerns of failure/end of tank issues.  For peace of mind I would always go with a dual stage regulator.  once you get it set up pressure is stable and so is bubble count until the very end of the tank.  but instead of dumping the remainder like a single stage would, it slows. if your using an apex, it will notify you of your ph being too high and your still safe.   Honestly if you have the apex control your reactor ph, your bubble count is irrelevant as it will maintain it there regardless.   Theres a thread around here somewhere where I did a write up about using a reactor.  

@Jon Fishman where were you a few weeks ago when I was hunting for a kegerator!  already bought one now....got any fancy handles you wanna part with send me a pm!

3 minutes ago, cptnspanky said:

@Sevitz5 I run a 10lb tank on my 300.  Lasts me about 9 months generally.  I also would not go with the carbon doser for concerns of failure/end of tank issues.  For peace of mind I would always go with a dual stage regulator.  once you get it set up pressure is stable and so is bubble count until the very end of the tank.  but instead of dumping the remainder like a single stage would, it slows. if your using an apex, it will notify you of your ph being too high and your still safe.   Honestly if you have the apex control your reactor ph, your bubble count is irrelevant as it will maintain it there regardless.   Theres a thread around here somewhere where I did a write up about using a reactor.  

@Jon Fishman where were you a few weeks ago when I was hunting for a kegerator!  already bought one now....got any fancy handles you wanna part with send me a pm!

I do have an apex, so your saying I don’t need the expensive carbon doser regulator? 

@cptnspanky any of this interest you?  Old school Budweiser and bad frog beer handles, a tap and a thermostat (my fridge was in an I heated garage but the light bulb would keep it thawed. You can have any if you want. If he doesn’t and someone else does say the word!

sorry, I know this is far off topic lol

87F66EAA-1E24-4D42-ACC6-FE86FDBB4219.jpeg

4F2A8B77-9358-4250-AA5B-70DC9C47A83A.jpeg