Came home to dead fish

Came home from a 16 hour work day, out of the house 18 hours or so......    Before lights went out gave fish food, ate well like normal, everything was very healthy looking.......     

Came home to find my Powder Blue with flesh just falling off......... laying sideways.    I did a couple quick FW dips and put it back in, and planned to run to store in 45 min when it opens and get meds.....    it continually just floated and stuck to a powerhead.......   I turned them off and it was lifeless.      Not dead yet, but I could tell there was no coming back.   Made the decision to flush now, and cut my losses since there was no hope in saving it.   

So,  clearly velvet I’d say.......    and I have one fish remaining in my 75g display.      Clowns that were previously in that tank but moved to Nano look great.      

My plan was/is to get rid of the one fish that remains, so my questions are these:

In order to set up a safe tank for future fish, what do I do?

Remove remaining fish (a puffer) now, and start fallow period?      How long do I remain fallow?

Once the new tank is built, still transfer rock/coral over and just continue to be fallow?

Can I move CUC to new tank during fallow period, or should I leave all snails/crab in old tank with just sand?     Will they bring Velvet to my new tank?    If so, do they need to be individually removed to treat?

If I move all rocks to new tank for fallow period and cycling, I will have a hard time making sure none hide in a rock and transfer over.

Good news is I don’t have a tank full of fish.    My main concern now, after accepting the loss, is keeping velvet out of my new tank, and keeping my coral safe.

With new tank on the way, and no fish I plan on keeping, how would you guys go about the setup of the new tank?       

Better now than right after setting up the new tank I guess

2 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

What did you add that you think brought it in?  What leads you to believe it’s velvet, the speed?

Speed.    Came home to spots that looked like ich, and then the skin just falling off.

I should have gotten better pictures but like I said.   I just got back from working a 16, and found all of this

fins being chewed away.....   all was fine when I left52EC55D0-F7AE-4A6F-B6F6-7CE29053AE58.thumb.jpeg.7524adf1753b0f98caf1bd231f70f1f6.jpegC48E452C-97FD-45BA-8AEA-5D5C3EA16853.thumb.jpeg.33cd5b016e5903512628014f2a5d92d4.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Jon Fishman said:

So get rid of Puffer asap and between now, new tank being setup, and next fish, just wait 6 weeks?    all inverts can stay?

yes your inverts can stay and yes i would get rid of the puffer. take him to a store or someone that can QT him. if you are going to have sps and lps in the new tank your puffer will wreak havoc on it all

Edited by euphylin me