What made you start a saltwater aquarium?

For me it was a combination of things. The variety of life forms available compared to freshwater were the biggest attraction. I still have a 180 gallon freshwater and a 75 gallon with a single flowerhorn. Once the livestock starts dying off I will remove them and go to saltwater only. I have large fish in them that I grew from very small ones and can not bear to take them to the LFS to drop off. Also I am a person who needs a hobby to focus on. My wife calls them obsessions and she is probably correct. I can't sit around doing nothing or watching tv (which is about the same thing) A 180 gallon with fish and nems, a 150 gallon with fish, nems, lps, and softies along with reefer 170 mixed in its infancy keep me pretty occupied when I'm not working.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My daughter wanted a glo-fish.    I got a little bowl and the kids managed to fill it from the tub and put the fish in before I could get a chance to supervise (I had dechlorinator etc) and they basically filled it with fresh gravel and washed the bowl with soap, no idea how hot/cold they made the water etc.

The 2 glo-fish lasted a day, and I bought a used setup a few days later.     

One day of 2-glo-fish in small bowl was as close to having a freshwater setup as I got.

I kinda jumped in full-on, as I do with most hobbies.    I really just want coral..... I can do without the headache of fish

• 4 weeks later...

I loved reading everyones response.  I just loved the fish.  I upgraded to a 75 gallon for cichlids.  Then I saw the “ooh pretty” marine fish.  If this saltwater go round fails I am going FOWLR or cichlid tank.  Can you imagine a 180 cichlid tank!  

6 hours ago, music said:

I loved reading everyones response.  I just loved the fish.  I upgraded to a 75 gallon for cichlids.  Then I saw the “ooh pretty” marine fish.  If this saltwater go round fails I am going FOWLR or cichlid tank.  Can you imagine a 180 cichlid tank!  

i used to do cichlid tanks....then i moved to discus.....i loved keeping discus