Algae ID help please.

I have been noticing this algae (?) growing in my sump. It seems to mostly attach to the glass baffles up high in high flow. I also have a large ball of chaeto and it doesn't really mix in with that. I have been scraping it off but today I started wondering if I should just let it grow or will it become invasive? TIAbb203b798a6ffbdd9ad925bb99f9e236.jpg2c1911458d16c0c985c096702e047242.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Algae can be hard to ID IMO because the same species can look so different in different conditions.  I doubt it's a problem if you keep it contained.  I would send the picture to Bob Fenner at Wet Web Media (make sure to resize the picture per thier instructions on the website as he is often out of the country on crappy Internet) if he can't help you he will tell you who can!

PS I think his site is one of the most under utilized collections of information in the hobby!

www.wetwebmedia.com

Edited by Muttley000

Thanks Muttley. Info I could find said maybe some sort or Caulerpa. My wife just suggested I toss a piece in the DT and see if tangs eat it and the naso gobbled it up stems and all. I'll just let it keep growing but not out of control and have a free food source. 

23 hours ago, Nisstech said:

Thanks Muttley. Info I could find said maybe some sort or Caulerpa. My wife just suggested I toss a piece in the DT and see if tangs eat it and the naso gobbled it up stems and all. I'll just let it keep growing but not out of control and have a free food source. 

i would agree, it seems like this is caulerpa. It can be invasive so just be careful.