Transferring to new tank

Sevitz5

I have been talking with my LFS guy about my tank upgrade. His and my plan all along has been to set up the 180, add 90 lbs of new dry marco rock, add marine pure in the sump, add starter bacteria and let the tank run for a couple weeks. At that point start transferring about 40 lbs of rock I have in the current tank and start transferring corals. Lastly move fish to their new home.

All along I have been assured that all my sps will be fine since I’m doing new dry rock and won’t have a “cycle” from die off. Today I posted on a group in Facebook and everyone is telling me I can’t do that and I will loose all my corals. They say I need to let the new tank run for months before adding sps.

Help me out guys.....who is right? Has anyone done this transfer? Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

It can be done the way you intended if that dry rock is clean. That is a big if, and I don’t know how you know except for testing once it is wet. All rock will be in once fish go in right?

It is man made rock that I bought new, do I’m pretty confident it’s clean. Yes, I’m letting the bacteria establish on this rock for a couple weeks, then start moving corals over as well as 40-50 lbs of my established rock from my current tank. Fish will be the last to get moved....probably closer to 3 weeks from now.

1 hour ago, Sevitz5 said:

It is man made rock that I bought new, do I’m pretty confident it’s clean. Yes, I’m letting the bacteria establish on this rock for a couple weeks, then start moving corals over as well as 40-50 lbs of my established rock from my current tank. Fish will be the last to get moved....probably closer to 3 weeks from now.

This sounds fine to me. Many would add a bottled bacteria for insurance. I personally don’t use them though. Good luck!

On 8/10/2019 at 9:54 PM, Sevitz5 said:

I added 2 bottles of the Fritz Turbostart 900

i would set up the new tank, add all the new rock and then 10 pounds of your established rock with the bacteria. Also, i know it sounds crazy but it really works. Add about 4 ml of distilled vodka to really get the tanks bacteria to rapidly spread. Youll have the best luck making sure the tank is cycled well enough doing it this way. The vodka will make the bacteria colony grow very rapidly. then just add a bit of food so it stabilizes. Ive done a couple times and it really does work.