Sign in to follow this  
DustingrahamRRA

Aquaculturing the Red Banded Trocus Snail

I've been thinking about starting another project for RRA. Red banded trocus snails are one of the most useful snails for a reef tank, have been proven to easily reproduce in captivity and are comparatively higher in price. So, ive been thinking about using a frag style tank to propagate these cool little guys. Sand in the bottom, maybe some macro algae placed in the sand bed and a simple shop light for a day-night cycle. Any ideas? I love working with our community and pushing for more sustainable livestock choices. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Muttley000 said:

Sounds like a great plan!  What do they need to eat to get in the mood?  Any special care to get them big enough to sell other than time going by?  Very interested in watching this!

So here’s what I can gather info wise for these questions and how my plan is currently looking. This will be done in a 2’x2’x8” frag tank connected to my frag and colony grow out system. This tank will have a thin layer of sand, groups of macro algae and I won’t clean the glass so film algae can grow. Then they will be fed supplemental food in the form of pellets. Since this is connected to my frag system, there will be higher calcium and alk, so I’m wondering if that will be enough to make them grow quicker in combination with the nuterient rich diet. 

9 hours ago, DustingrahamRRA said:

So here’s what I can gather info wise for these questions and how my plan is currently looking. This will be done in a 2’x2’x8” frag tank connected to my frag and colony grow out system. This tank will have a thin layer of sand, groups of macro algae and I won’t clean the glass so film algae can grow. Then they will be fed supplemental food in the form of pellets. Since this is connected to my frag system, there will be higher calcium and alk, so I’m wondering if that will be enough to make them grow quicker in combination with the nuterient rich diet. 

Excited to see how this works out

6 hours ago, crimsonvice said:

Exciting! When do you start. Make sure to add a late night swanky playlist. 

Brown chicken... Brown cow... 

Oh you know it lol, I think I’ll have to get some larger speakers though...and I’m hoping to get started ASAP, I just need to make some more sales to get all the equipment for the system.