LFS Toledo

5 minutes ago, RockyProndoa said:

Where does everyone in Toledo purchase their fish? As far as I know, there are only two places in Toledo - only one of which I am comfortable buying anything from.

Is there something I am missing? 

LFS are dying everywhere. There used to be one off airport rd. But that one shut down too. 

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

LFS are dying everywhere. There used to be one off airport rd. But that one shut down too. 

Yep.

Laurie at Toledo Aqua Culture runs a pretty good operation, but that's it. There are a few others around that I have had abysmal luck with (won't mention names as these are only my experiences)... Just curious where everyone else was getting their fish from.

1 minute ago, Muttley000 said:

I have yet to buy Fish from Laurie but I will when I get around to it.  Seems she has the best thing going in town from my view.  I have had good luck myself at Aquarium Masterminds also, all fish I picked up there have been disease free and eating right away. 

That's good to know. Unfortunately for me I have had extremely negative experiences with Aquarium Masterminds - I've tried on two separate occasions to special order fish and each time I get swept under the rug with some half-wit excuse as to why my order didn't get placed. I've also tried to stop by on several other occasions only to find the door closed.  After checking their Facebook it appears their hours change CONSTANTLY. Hats off to you for actually getting in and being able to purchase some fish. I'm sure they are good guys, I just have had such bad experiences that it would take a lot for me to reconsider or even recommend them.

All that being said, that's two places - are there any more or is that it for Toledo?

If not LFS, then where are people being their fish?

49 minutes ago, RockyProndoa said:

That's good to know. Unfortunately for me I have had extremely negative experiences with Aquarium Masterminds - I've tried on two separate occasions to special order fish and each time I get swept under the rug with some half-wit excuse as to why my order didn't get placed. I've also tried to stop by on several other occasions only to find the door closed.  After checking their Facebook it appears their hours change CONSTANTLY. Hats off to you for actually getting in and being able to purchase some fish. I'm sure they are good guys, I just have had such bad experiences that it would take a lot for me to reconsider or even recommend them.

All that being said, that's two places - are there any more or is that it for Toledo?

If not LFS, then where are people being their fish?

Actually I haven’t been in since Jeremy was there. I’ve heard it’s hard to get in, not sure how an already tough business survives that way

44 minutes ago, euphylin me said:

Honestly, i have not had bad luck with Petco in Bowling green for fish...I dont buy corals there, i go through Laurie and hobbyists. 

I can’t wait to hit this place!

My humble opinions:

petco in BG is ok.  they try to keep things healthy and have gotten much better in the last 3 years.  ------>>>>> make sure you check every tank in the system for death and buy smart.

coral reef  've purchased things here over the years all did well but my son bought a marine beta and it died within 24 hours, they told him it died of "a heart attack" and only gave him a 50% credit.  At our frag swap they would not take a credit card payment from my wife but took one from me 20 minutes later.  (I didn't know they turned her down)  ...they are DEAD to me. 

aquarium masterminds great place when they opened but in last 3 months fish have ich or velvet or both; store is dirty and they are more interested in talking to each other than to you.

aqua culture very nice , very limited inventory will order for you but who wants to do that?  is pricey

again this is my honest opinions

we need to have meetings and trade more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven’t gotten to the point of livestock just yet.  I’m close to water in the actual tank though. Lol. 

That being said. I like going to aqua culture. Laurie is great to deal with. And it’s pretty close for me. On hand selection could be better, but sitting on tons of living inventory and dry goods Is a very risky venture. 

I check out coral reef occasionally when I’m on that side of town. Haven’t bought anything from there since before they moved to that location.  Haven’t had a tank.

Ive checked out petco BG a couple times, hit or miss on selection at least for me.

i avoid the area that aquarium mastermind is at for traffic reasons  and the times I’ve been by there it’s always closed  

haven’t got a chance to check out the one on Alexis  I believe it’s aquarium world don’t make it over that way a lot.

im not sure if fishy guys/pampered pets is the old trilby tropical but that store makes me angry. That place used to be awesome when I had freshwater tanks years ago. Now it’s a sh!+hole at least the last time I was there it was. Lots of empty/broken tanks and just needed some tlc.  On the fresh and saltwater sides.

i honestly make the drive over to  vermillion and go to salty critter because I like the selection of parts&pieces, used equipment and livestock. Dan the owner is a great guy and been very helpful.  There and aqua culture are my main 2.

well im glad i left aquarium masterminds when i did lol. [mention=2782]Fishoutofwater[/mention] pampered pets used to be trilby. I have not made it to salty critter yet but i may have to check it out soon. [mention=1]Jesse[/mention] has always said good things about them as well. lets just all pull together and build a community fish store
You know my biggest problem so far has been the lack of follow up (not including Toledo Aqua Culture). I cannot tell you how many times I have called/stopped in to one of the aforementioned places and attempted to 'order' fish. It's always the same response - "Sure! We can do that. We'll contact you next time we order and let you know what's available." And then that's it... Not a call, not a screw you, not anything. I have money in hand and I cannot get these people to take it - it's no wonder they all eventually go out of business.

I will say Dustin at LaBos Aquatics in Bryan is phenomenal in every aspect - large selection, tremendous follow up, reasonable pricing, healthy livestock - he's just a bit of a drive for me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I could never get a special order done at Aquarium Masterminds either. Dustin at Labos is only 8 miles from me. I would special order from him but if I can’t get right there he leaves the fish bagged which I haven’t ever wrapped my head around how can be good. The one time he unbagged them because I was going to be a few days his wife accidentally sold the fish (wasn’t a big deal, kind of a laugh honestly). I haven’t stopped up to see him all summer so not sure how that’s going for him. 

I could never get a special order done at Aquarium Masterminds either. Dustin at Labos is only 8 miles from me. I would special order from him but if I can’t get right there he leaves the fish bagged which I haven’t ever wrapped my head around how can be good. The one time he unbagged them because I was going to be a few days his wife accidentally sold the fish (wasn’t a big deal, kind of a laugh honestly). I haven’t stopped up to see him all summer so not sure how that’s going for him. 
That's good to know; I've never special ordered anything from him and was just about to call him. I'll be sure to double check!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk