Jake’s 90 gallon

AspiringLobophyllia

Found my mocha clown on the sandbed a few minutes ago with hermits crowding it. Real tough to give such a long-standing member of the crew the toilet send off. Sucks because he ate well last night and looked okay this morning, so it was in the last few hours. Fins weirdly looked okay, don’t think it was another fish. Pretty bummed.

In a more positive update, it’s been a week since the addition of the frag sump and it’s looking pretty good880c0bc59aefd27ace5f2e777437b9a9.jpg it’s very low flow down there so palys, shrooms, and zoa’s are in heaven, though I may need to move the hammers to a spot with more flow or back to the DT

• 2 weeks later...

At least you know his plumbing works!  Side note, have you ever read about vitamin B/Thiamine deficiency in eels?  Marco Lichtenberger is an expert who has helped on Bob Fenner's site put out a lot of information about it.  Worth googling if you are keeping an eel in my opinion!

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking for the future, I'm going to make a large scale effort to get rid of my Aiptasia for good. After my lion is moved to the predator tank, any thoughts on adding a copper banded butterfly? could always go into the predator tank if it started nipping at coral. Hopefully will get 2-3 peppermints as well. Definitely will wait until after I can go into public again to try to find one eating at a LFS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It’s been forever since I posted here, sorry all. Figured I’d post an update on both my tanks. My 90 reef is in total crash right now. My foxface died and probably 2 months ago, which caused my serpent star to die, which cascaded into almost all of my inverts dying and most of the coral in the tank. I have two brain corals clinging on, and three psammys in the back that look okay. Im doing water changes as much as I can to try to get this under control. GHA everywhere. Luckily the other fish (lion, wrasse, damsel, wolf eel) are still going strong, and right before it happened I acquired an angler from petco that’s down with the wolf eel in the sump. They’re both still kicking as well, and I’ve gotten the angler to eat after a whole lot of effort. Really cool fish to watch.

In my 100 gallon predator tank there was a fungal (I think) outbreak on my emperor/Koran hybrid angel, which passed away a few weeks ago. I treated the tank with ruby rally for 4 days to protect the rest of the fish, and while it has dubious results on the Internet, the splotches that appeared on my Picasso trigger have been fading and color returning to normal. I also put one hell of a skimmer on there, HOB aquamaxx 1.5 which is making a lot of skimmate (while also making a bit of a mess). Also found a crazy deal on Facebook for a brace of AI hyrdras, which replaced my janky T5 and orbit led setup. I acquired a second snowflake eel for that tank as well, and while the two fought a bit at the beginning of cohabitation, they seem pretty cool with eachother now.

Hopefully I’ll post pictures at some point in the coming weeks, maybe participate in a few FTS’s, give me extra incentive to clean the glass more often.

Cheers everyone hope all is well with your families, both fishy and terrestrial

• 2 weeks later...