Large zebra eel

KMHREEFER

As of right now it’s just a thought, but I’ve been considering getting rid of my large zebra eel...if I can get him out without destroying my tank.  It is about 2.5-3 feet long, fat and very well mannered and is great in my reef tank.  Hasn’t touched my cleanup crew, shrimp or any fish. I was looking to get about $125 for it or possible trade offers.  I just wanted to know if anyone might be interested, if so, let me know.

The tank is a 75 gallon to give a little idea of size.  When I ordered it there was no guarantee on what size it would be.  It’s grown a few inches in the 10 or 11 months I’ve had it and has a nice appetite for frozen foods.  Only reason I’m considering parting with it is because I actually have a small 8 inch zebra in the same tank.  I ordered it a few months before the other and it disappeared for almost 6 months after I added it and I had thought it died, only to reappear a month after reordering and adding another eel.  The larger eel has just recently noticed it and it is the only thing alive that it seems to try and eat.  I attempted getting him out once so far and it destroyed a lot of my rockwork so I’m wary about trying again.

I’m in Fostoria.  I am going to be hopefully upgrading my tank after the holidays, moving from carpet to hardwood so I have to disassemble my tank anyway so seemed like a good time to do it.  I’m in no rush, just hoping he doesn’t eat the little zebra before then. Lol. I made a mesh top using clear mesh I purchased from bulk reef supply and screen framing I got from Lowe’s.

59AD82D6-F87F-4349-AB4B-CA17AFB6CE28.thumb.jpeg.4c25052b7f6d2ba781d981c70c789325.jpeg

Not the best pic but fits nice and easy to make and modify.

12 hours ago, KMHREEFER said:

I’m in Fostoria.  I am going to be hopefully upgrading my tank after the holidays, moving from carpet to hardwood so I have to disassemble my tank anyway so seemed like a good time to do it.  I’m in no rush, just hoping he doesn’t eat the little zebra before then. Lol. I made a mesh top using clear mesh I purchased from bulk reef supply and screen framing I got from Lowe’s.

59AD82D6-F87F-4349-AB4B-CA17AFB6CE28.thumb.jpeg.4c25052b7f6d2ba781d981c70c789325.jpeg

Not the best pic but fits nice and easy to make and modify.

Cool, I have used that stuff and it would seem you have a well tempered specimen there.  I still have a few tanks to get plumbed into my system, if he is still avaliable when I can't do outside work and actually get going on one maybe it will work out!

• 3 weeks later...

He won’t touch shrimp for whatever reason but crabs never last more than 24 hrs.  Have a fire shrimp that rides around on his head cleaning his mouth.  I know your pain, added the wrong type of pistol shrimp and it disappears on me any time I attempt to catch it.  Re-scaping my tank soon so gonna get him then.

No, have a lot of rock in my tank and plenty of cavernous places for an eel.  Always wanted a zebra eel in my reef from the beginning.   Taking all rock and corals out hopefully tomorrow to re-scape with much less rock and clutter.  The big eel might feel a little exposed for a while but should be fine until I find him a bigger home.

• Joe locked this topic