AndrewSPS

90 Gallon Starfire SPS

Tank will be here next week so I’ll start the official build thread. Been out of the hobby for 7+ years and everything has changed so this will be a process getting this tank running. The goal with this build is to automate the tank as much as possible since I’m often back and forth at work during the week. I’ll start off with the equipment list. Be prepared for plenty of pictures. 

Tank

-90 gallon (36x24x24) SC Aquariums Starfire tank. Custom Stand 

-20 gallon sump/refugium

Filtration

-2x 4” filter socks

-macro algae in fuge

- Bubble King 180 mini

- 3” media reactor for carbon/GFO

- RODI unit. 40 gallon Storage tank. 32 gallon mixing tank. 5 gallon ATO reservoir   

lighting 

-2x Kessil 360x Tuna Blue 

Equipment

-2x Cobalt NeoTherm heaters

-COR-15 return pump 

-2x Ecotech MP40s

-Neptune System (see pictures. Too much to list)

-80lbs Real Reef Rock

-100lbs Live Fiji Pink sand 

4BA187C6-1241-4E17-B354-B3213B9643F4.jpeg

Edited by AndrewSPS

There will be plenty of pictures to come. This has taken me a good 8 weeks just to get everything collected for this tank. I have one more bag of sand on it’s way and some various plumbing supplies and I should be set. I’m getting the wood for the stand this weekend so as soon as the tank arrives I can get started on it. 

Adds a nice look to the tank and another spot for coral placement. Did order a few other items that will be here this week. Still waiting on the call on the tank. Arriving via semi this week from California. 

Went with the cobalt NeoTherm heaters. Each is 200 watts and will be controlled on separate outlets of the apex. Each set slightly different so they both aren’t kicking on and off all the time but one main heater and a backup. The Eheim ones I had originally ordered don’t really fit in the sump very well so they are being used in the qt tank and mixing tank. 

Also went with a kessil h80 grow light for the fuge since it’s rather small (6x11)

Picked up all the wood for the stand so I should be able to construct that in a few days after the tank arrives. 

2 minutes ago, JMM said:

Nice start. If you need any 4” socks for extras let me know. I live between Lima and Spencerville. They are taking up space. I run 8”. 

Jim

May have to take you up on that. I drive to Spencerville every day for work. 

Good news: Some new stuff came for the tank since I can’t keep myself off BRS.

Bad news: Tank won’t arrive to ft. Wayne until Monday according to the tracking number. So I’m hoping either Monday or Tuesday delivery depending on when they are able to. At least it’s in route. 

39146140-D746-4173-88F3-59CDF832C985.jpeg

This sump/fuge will be super tight with little room for anything else. One heater may be on the fuge side since I’ve got a media reactor behind the protein skimmer and not a lot of room to work with. 

38A552B7-5645-4AFC-BDA8-A17BEB665FCC.jpeg

4 hours ago, crimsonvice said:

Looks very clean though. Nice job. 

Thank you! I can say that the tank is finally about here. Hopefully I can schedule delivery for Monday or Tuesday as long as it arrives to ft Wayne early Monday. 

B417A7DD-7619-44A5-8424-36378776CA52.png

Edited by AndrewSPS

Tank is set to arrive tomorrow afternoon. Fish are looking great and done with their quarantine. In 3-5 weeks I’ll Pick up some more fish and start to QT them. If anyone has any leads on local Red Sea regal angels let me know. 

93C92B6E-3040-441E-8318-3BF42FC832E9.jpeg

6 hours ago, OurCoralReef said:

Fish are looking great good job

How long did you quarantine them
Chemicals or no chemicals

5-6 weeks. Copper first and than prazipro. Usually a sure fire way to kick ich first and than any internal issues. Never had an issue with ich any of my display displays since I started doing this.