Out of town trip

surjer

So I have a trip coming up next week and I will be gone for roughly 3 weeks. I am going to do a 30% water change before I leave but my concerne is algae growth on the glass. The wifey is not too interested in scraping the glass for me and with this AI prime light i get quite a bit of growth on the glass as well as lots of evaporation. I was considering putting the stock light back on and leaving on just the blues. (I have the timer so it can turn on and off with a schedule). Would that be a bad idea? She is going to feed the fish while I am away and keep the ATO topped off for me. Anything else I am missing you all can think of?

I agree with the other replys here. I have been in your situation. I traveled for work quite a bit and was moving around so I moved my tank and had it setup at my parents. My mom took care of feeding and keeping the ato filled but definitely over fed which led to excess nutrient issues and algae. If you're able to portion out food that'll be best. Do a water change and you should be good. That was my problem, I wasn't able to get home enough to do regular water changes to keep things in check

I'm not too worried about over feeding. I feed 10 small pellets every other day. (I also do frozen once a week but im not gonna have her do that).  I just started reef frenzie but i'm guessing I can do without that one too just to keep nutrients down since I cant do water changes.  I guess the biggest thing I was worried about was the lights and letting the algae get out of hand but I suppose that is just a matter of cleaning it up when I get home. I am starting to see quite a bit of hair algae pop up on the sand and some bigger what looks like macro algae on my GSP.  I probably need to make a nice media basket for chamber 2 when I get back or maybe this weekend. The chamber 1 basket sucked cause it raised my tank display so high. Now I have it all sitting where I want it but i dont have filter floss in the mix anymore. Just a bag of Chemipure and a bag of Purigen in Chamber two right where the intake to chamber 3 is so they are acting as both chemical AND mechanical filtration at the moment. The Cheato is strill growing like crazy in chamber 1 tho. Using the API test kit Nitrates are undectible but i know that can be hidden by the algae consuming it right? So. Much. To. Learn!