Crimson's Switch from Apex to GHL

crimsonvice

So this thread has been a long time in the making. I started a side job in July and have been traveling a lot since. While it has been fun, I have had to put this on the back burner for a little bit. Anyways... As most of you know I have been a fan of GHL products ever since I purchased the GHL Doser 2 maybe four years ago. The ease of install and operation was wonderful, not to mention the reliability. I would try and recalibrate the doser every few months, and every time I did, I was ending up with the same calibration data. So when it came time to purchase a controller I looked at the Profilux and the Apex 2016. However, I originally chose to go with Neptune's 2016 Apex, and while initially it seemed like a good purchase, I should have saved and went with GHL like I had originally wanted to.

Fast forward a little bit, and this was my life...

image.png

There were SOOOOOOOO many times that I would try to access Fusion, and it would say my Apex was disconnected. Yes, this could have been resolved by running a hard line to the unit (which would have been difficult given the location of my tank and router), but what is the purpose of having a WiFi unit if the WiFi doesn't stay connected? Now there were just as many times that it did work, but when you pay a decent amount of money for "quality" products you expect them to work all the time, not just most of it. 

Fast forward again, and GHLis generous enough to donate a controller to the 2019 Buckeye Reef raffle, and this sealed the deal in abandoning the Apex to make my transition over to the GHL Profilux P4. Initially I purchased the GHL Mitras lights for my display, and then the P4 showed up at the door.

Short unboxing video. 

As I stated previously, this came in the mail just as I was starting to be on the road more for work, so it took some time for me to get things rolling. I have to say that I am 100% satisfied with the operation of this controller, and should have made this purchase in the very beginning. It is extremely easy to use, and setup was not difficult at all. I did watch the setup videos on YouTube prior to opening the box, and during setup which are a step by step guide on getting you up and running.

I will be posting more in this thread on how I have the system setup, programming, and outlet configuration. I will also be linking the review thread of the Mitras, which are another great product. 

PS- I have not had any GHL disconnects on WiFi. :1301002583_32(2):

After everything is set up, this is what the dashboard looks like. 

Screenshot_20191010-073417_GHL Connect.jpg

After getting use to the IF, THEN statements with the Apex system it was a little weird to just use drop down boxes to get everything programmed. For example when setting up your temp probe and heater you use the drop down boxes and input values as seen in the pictures below.

Navigate to Control -> Sensors -> Temp (or click on the temp sensor reading on the dashboard).

Screenshot_20191010-073847_GHL Connect.jpg

Input your values and save.

Screenshot_20191010-073913_GHL Connect.jpg

Once this is completed, you go to your switch channels (outles) and designate which function will be going to which outlet. In this instance, my heater is plugged into the second outlet on my power bar. I only have one temp probe, so Temp 1 function will be assigned to Switch 2. Save.

Screenshot_20191010-074835_GHL Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20191010-074000_GHL Connect.jpg

As simple as that you have setup and assigned the heater function on the unit. I followed the same process for assigning my T5 fixture and Refugium light to outlets and programming their function. Each light will be on a separate Lighting Function (Light function 1, 2, 3, 4,...), and then this is saved to whichever outlet your equipment is plugged into. 

***OF NOTE: Saving is an essential function when performing any programming changes. You will be prompted to save if you have made changes.

I don’t think hard wiring the apex would have helped. My 2016 is hard wired and every time the power flickers it goes off I get the same message. Here is what baffles me, my 180/120 system runs on the classic  brain and it gets the same interruptions yet has never disconnected from fusion. I mean NEVER. I have been tempted to switch out the 2016 with my spare classic brain  and see how things go. 

Keeping my eye on GHL in case apex just gets too frustrating OR they quit supporting the classic. That would do it for me. 

Jim

Edited by JMM

1 hour ago, JMM said:

I don’t think hard wiring the apex would have helped. My 2016 is hard wired and every time the power flickers it goes off I get the same message. Here is what baffles me, my 180/120 system runs on the classic  brain and it gets the same interruptions yet has never disconnected from fusion. I mean NEVER. I have been tempted to switch out the 2016 with my spare classic brain  and see how things go. 

Keeping my eye on GHL in case apex just gets too frustrating OR they quit supporting the classic. That would do it for me. 

Jim

That is weird. I would have figured it was an issue with dropping the wifi signal. I would sit and watch the signal go from 80% and drop to nothing. I just assumed hard wiring it would have fixed the issue. 

I cannot imagine that they would stop supporting the classic. There are so many people still using them, it would start a reefing community riot. 

Give it a couple years and they will shoot their own foot some more and stop supporting the classic. There has been a lot of talk about the classic not having disconnect issues like the newer ones. But back then it was made to work. Now it’s all about how they can market it and make more profit and quality is second to that.  The equipment just looks like a toy to me.  My Ghl looks and feels like quality product period. 

36 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

So I really want to hear about what Brandon has found he can do with the GHL that wasn’t possible with the Apex!  We already know the quality is heads above Neptune!

I am not sure that I have found something that I couldn't do with an Apex. Honestly, I didn't even use the Apex to its full potential. So I am sure I will be in the same boat with GHL. I do find the hours of operation a nice feature, especially for probe life. 

Yesterday I was able to make a little more progress on switching things over. Initially I had made my stand with a compartment for the Apex and other controllers on the right hand side of the stand. Given the difference in design of GHL products, I needed to relocate everything. I ended up adding a second 6E Powerbar and a single float switch for the ATO.

I have a second float switch that I will be installing later as a high water level to shut down my skimmer, but need to purchase or make a bracket for it.

I will be hooking up the KH Director tomorrow or Saturday. 

Pics coming soon. 

Finished setting up the KHD last night it is up and running, reporting 4 times daily. It took a good 1-1.5 hours from opening the box to first test. It's not complicated you just want to follow the instructions. The 3 part YouTube videos were very easy to follow. Here is a pic of the dashboard with KHD installed. 

Screenshot_20191019-115716.png

I also added a timer to the power head in the frag tank. Pretty simple process. Create timer intervals in the processes tab. 

Screenshot_20191019-115617.png

Screenshot_20191019-115624.png

Once saved, you go to the switch channels and add the timer to the outlet you want to operate that timer. In this case, I am adding the timer to outlet number 8. In the settings, you adjust the function to "Timer" and then select which timer process you just created. In this case the timer process was number 2. Save, and your good to go. 

Screenshot_20191019-115638.png

Screenshot_20191019-115653.png