Sump... conventional vs stock tank

Mussin

The only real pros I can think of is you can see through parts of the 150 and So you can see low flow areas and other problems also easier to have a spot for chaeto. But honestly, load that stock tank with rock. Put a basket in there for chaeto and a place for the skimmer and your in business. No glass to clean. No worry of seam blow outs. No worry of something getting banged into it and breaking a pane.  Just my $.02. 

There are some awesome Rubbermaid sumps out there.  Used to be a build by "spinner" if I remeber the user name right on Reef Central that did a cool one with a 300 gallon tub.  The only downside I saw when I had one was the irregular shape makes baffles very difficult but if you don't do it the ATO is a little of a challenge.  Also no sweet place to hang stuff with the supplied brackets that come with most reactors, probes, etc.  If you have the space plumb them both in and use the Rubbermaid for a fuge!

It's pretty easy to make a "baffled" skimmer section out of a simple bucket or tote.  Run your drain into it, and pop a hole in the side of the tote at whatever level you want your skimmer to sit in.

To me it's just a matter of preference if you have both.  Most people end up with stock tanks because they are far cheaper than comparable sized glass or acrylic tanks.  I would think there would be more evaporation with a stock tank than an acrylic sump

Won’t the magnet from the tunze ATO hold on the stock tank?

if not, I bet you could order a larger magnet and substitute it easily. That’s what I will probably be doing when I swap over to my stock tank.

i will also most likely use a milk crate to sit my skimmer on to achieve the right depth for it  if not then I would consider placing it in a sturdy plastic tote of sorts  

corey