Hello all

Ximation

Been stalking around for a few months now and finally worked up the courage to post my 1st salt tank. I've been running about 4 months now and just recently upgraded from a 20g to a 90g with 30g sump. Running pretty basic equipment nothing over the top and everything seems to be stable and happy for the time being. 

Im slowly acquiring some corals but stocking is stumping me. Currently have 2 clowns a lawnmower blenny, and a tailspot. I was fully stocked in the 20 but now and am at a loss.

Looking forward to learning and growing with you all. 

20191226_123051.jpg

20191224_194831.jpg

20191223_154614.jpg

20191204_155832.jpg

33 minutes ago, Ximation said:

Any suggestions on stocking ideas. I'm honestly at a loss as where to start. 

I would start by getting to know fish and come up with ones you like and see which ones fit or don’t fit what you want from your tank. Then start with the more timid fish first . Tangs if any you want in last they tend to be more aggressive to new comers. Six line wrasse are another that would go in last if decide on one. Liveaquaria is a good place to get ideas and have a good description on them

Edited by ErickS

10 hours ago, Ximation said:

Any suggestions on stocking ideas. I'm honestly at a loss as where to start. 

I also use live aquaria descriptions because I feel their minimum tank sizes are the most accurate.  Also what type of corals or invertebrates you plan to keep can effect fish choices.  I can't imagine a larger tank without a tang, but adding one could limit options down the road.  Once you find that species or two that you must have you can build around that.  I really enjoy my Kole tang in my 90, and you could look at the reef safe wrasses that fit in with your size.  You have room for one of the dwarf angels now, but here is where a particular species may pick at your coral.  There are so many options there really isn't a right or wrong answer!  Where are you located?  Possibly there is a store we could suggest for you to get good advice at also. 

1 hour ago, Muttley000 said:

I also use live aquaria descriptions because I feel their minimum tank sizes are the most accurate.  Also what type of corals or invertebrates you plan to keep can effect fish choices.  I can't imagine a larger tank without a tang, but adding one could limit options down the road.  Once you find that species or two that you must have you can build around that.  I really enjoy my Kole tang in my 90, and you could look at the reef safe wrasses that fit in with your size.  You have room for one of the dwarf angels now, but here is where a particular species may pick at your coral.  There are so many options there really isn't a right or wrong answer!  Where are you located?  Possibly there is a store we could suggest for you to get good advice at also. 

I'm in tiffin. 

3 minutes ago, ErickS said:

I’m in Findlay. Toledo aquaculture is good also if don’t mind the drive 

I work in Findlay and am in toledo pretty often. I haven't heard of Toledo Aquaculture I'll have to check it out. I used to go to Labo's in Bryan but it's to closer to drive to cbus now. 

2 minutes ago, Ximation said:

I work in Findlay and am in toledo pretty often. I haven't heard of Toledo Aquaculture I'll have to check it out. I used to go to Labo's in Bryan but it's to closer to drive to cbus now. 

5153 suder Ave is the adress. Good people. I occasionally go to labos 

14 minutes ago, ErickS said:

Changing tides has some good stuff at moment I picked up an orange tip torch today. What’s your goals with coral? 

Currently I have 2 rbta, alvepora, mushrooms, birds nest, blasto, and a few other frags I got from a friend. Cant really say I have a definite plan for coral. Kinda want to keep it simple for awhile, nothing to challenging. I'm trying to avoid having to dose to much 

1 hour ago, Ximation said:

Currently I have 2 rbta, alvepora, mushrooms, birds nest, blasto, and a few other frags I got from a friend. Cant really say I have a definite plan for coral. Kinda want to keep it simple for awhile, nothing to challenging. I'm trying to avoid having to dose to much 

Seen the alveopora that’s a nice looking piece . What color blasto? I have 3 different colors they are pretty hardy