Sign in to follow this  
Mussin

Basement return pump question

I have a 180g display tank and a 100g sump in my basement.  I am trying to decide on a return pump to fit my needs.  I have 14' head pressure and would like in the ballpark of 1200 gph all said and done. 

Option 1- I have a reeflo barracuda pump with a baldor motor. Can easily handle my situation . Pulls 250w

Option 2 - look into a DC pump for energy savings. Can they handle this head pressure and still have flow? 

Option 3 - suggestions??

Thanks

As I read your post the Barracuda was cane to mind first. But you just can’t beat a DC pump. And now a days they can handle head pressure better than ever. The Vectra L2 says it can handle 21.5’ of head pressure. The only problem is I can’t find a flow rate chart. But at 0 head it’s 3100 gph. So even if you loose half at 14’ your still at 1650 gph. This is probably your most expensive option. I’m sure there are cheaper options out there. But I like my Vectra so far. 

I haven’t seen an L2 chart and it isn’t easy to find on the web but I only spent a couple minutes looking. In my experience the DC pumps that can cut the mustard here in your situation are ultra expensive. Hard to beat the external reeflo pump when you need lots of head. Yes they are expensive to run electricity wise, but when you consider the cost of having a backup in stock it is decades before the energy savings kicks in. I am sure this will eventually not be true, but two years ago it was. 

The barracuda. As @Muttley000 said for that kind of head it’s a double edge sword. You have the barracuda that takes a decent amount of juice to run. Or you pay about 3x the cost for a DC pump to match the output and the energy savings just went to the purchase price.  For instance you could buy an Abyzz A400 for about 3 grand and have similar flow and 41 ft of head.