Overflow question???

Joe

My overflows go into the Skimz sump. They attached to pipes that are about 8” under water. Everything flows fine but it’s kind of loud. And I’m getting a gurgle from time to time. Should I cut the pipes closer to the surface of the water? Or is this how it’s supposed to be. 
I also thought about drilling several large holes In the pipe, all would still be under the surface of the water. That would help things flow better. 

Any suggestions? 

My overflows go into the Skimz sump. They attached to pipes that are about 8” under water. Everything flows fine but it’s kind of loud. And I’m getting a gurgle from time to time. Should I cut the pipes closer to the surface of the water? Or is this how it’s supposed to be. 
I also thought about drilling several large holes In the pipe, all would still be under the surface of the water. That would help things flow better. 

Any suggestions? 
Cut the pipe close to the surface to give the air a chance to escape once it is pushed down the pipe. Given the length of the pipe currently, I imagine you have an air lock that is banging around inside the pipe.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, RockyProndoa said:

Why in the world would you do this?

He’s obviously getting air trapped in the pipe.  If you look at a lot of tank drains they are cut at a 45 angle to allow air to escape. So I asked if his standpipe is cut at an angle. The same thing applies to the drain part of it. If you can cut the pipe at a 45 with the top of it right below the top of the surface it may help air escape. 

He’s obviously getting air trapped in the pipe.  If you look at a lot of tank drains they are cut at a 45 angle to allow air to escape. So I asked if his standpipe is cut at an angle. The same thing applies to the drain part of it. If you can cut the pipe at a 45 with the top of it right below the top of the surface it may help air escape. 
I don't think I've ever seen a single tank drain cut at a 45. I'm in agreement with you about the air lock, I'm just curious why one would cut it at a 45 instead of straight across?

I would cut it shorter, just below the water level, and try tweaking your siphon valve to see if the bubbles are handled.  If it doesn’t work you can always cut some more or just add an elbow like was mentioned.

Do you want to post your drain set up, and do you know which drain is causing the bubbles?  If your full-siphon is doing it tweaking your valve open more might fix it.  If your trickle/durso is doing it you might have to tweak that somehow regarding air-intake.

I dealt with this some and ultimately worked to prevent the bubbles rather than make them disperse.  The salt creep quickly became annoying imo.

Edited by Fisher

39 minutes ago, Fisher said:

I would cut it shorter, just below the water level, and try tweaking your siphon valve to see if the bubbles are handled.  If it doesn’t work you can always cut some more or just add an elbow like was mentioned.

Do you want to post your drain set up, and do you know which drain is causing the bubbles?  If your full-siphon is doing it tweaking your valve open more might fix it.  If your trickle/durso is doing it you might have to tweak that somehow regarding air-intake.

I dealt with this some and ultimately worked to prevent the bubbles rather than make them disperse.  The salt creep quickly became annoying imo.

Thanks. I’ll try cutting the pipes first. I am not running any valves. So if needed I’ll have to add them. I could also turn down the return pump a little if needed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I cut the pipes so that when the pump is off, they are nearly under the surface of the water. With the pump on, they are a couple inches under water. No more gurgling. And a lot less splashing. I think I could dial it even more. But it cut the noise in at least half.