Sign in to follow this  
Trick

My first anemone

After 3 years of my tank being up and running I bought a anemone, it’s been 1 week and it seems pretty happy. All tank parameters are what they should be but it seems like one area of  the nem won’t inflate its tentacles. Is this normal? I do have a pair of clowns that took to it right away, so I’m not feeding it anything. Let me know if I’m worrying too much or if I’m doing anything wrong. Thanks!

F4BFC041-3D13-4A76-AB69-0DD87B3E19BD.jpeg

All looks great with your new addition. You've got a healthy looking nem there. A lot of people tend to try to cater to anemones making them unhappy and unhealthy. The partially uninflated tentacles are normal and usually caused by proximity to something slightly irritating it, flow, or just your clowns favoring a certain area. It's nothing to be alarmed by.

Bubble tip anemones are often viewed in the same category as corals by hobyists when really they are much cooler and more than capable of being mobile and finding their ideal spot. The major worry with them is powerheads. So as long as you have foam filters or something similar covering any powerheads that you have there's little worry for their safety.

Just now, Trick said:

Thanks guys! Yes whenever I get something new in this hobby I’m always trying to cater to it and I don’t know when that has ever paid off for me! 

It's a good instinct to have. It means you care about the inhabitants of your tank. But one of the hardest things to do in this hobby is nothing. Any changes outside avoiding immediate impending should always be well thought out, planned, and slept on for a while. I'm sure you knew that already though.

Ok been away from home the last few days and came home to this. Seems like it’s inflated in the shady area. Normal or not? I’m leaning towards the not good.

FC278AAF-D6D9-4809-974F-8187115AB5F3.jpeg